Talk

Advanced search

Survey report - would this list put you off?

(11 Posts)
aufaniae Wed 21-Nov-12 09:19:26

Just got this survey back, and here's the list of actionable stuff. What do you think? Looks like lots to me!

Which would concern you particularly? Any advice would be much appreciated smile

Matters requiring ACTION as previously described in this report:

1.Repair to shared chimney stack and flashing.
2.Repairs to flat roof.
3.Insulate and ventilate roof space.
4.Clean out box gutter.
5.Cracking to external walls.
6.Reduce external ground levels.
7.Sub floor ventilation.
8.Double glazing replacement and information.
9.External redecoration.
10.Removal of polystyrene and lath and plaster ceilings.
11.Testing of gas appliances.
12.Improve room ventilation.
13.Remove gas pipework or protect.
14.Test electrical installation.
15.Incoming water service and pipework.
16.Service records for boiler.

Matters requiring FURTHER TESTS as previously described in this report:

Gas appliances.
Electrical installation.
Asbestos materials.

wonkylegs Wed 21-Nov-12 09:30:25

Without seeing the property it's hard to judge but it wouldn't necessarily put me off.
Mind you from both personal & professional (architect) experience I am very sceptical of domestic surveyor reports, often they highlight any minor thing that might be an issue just in case or caveat their inspection so much that it's useless.
Personally I would always take their report & look at the issues highlighted and see if you can see why they have been highlighted (granted this is easier if you know what you are looking for but with a bit of care & the report you should be able to at least have a look)
Then with the issues that you can't see or have questions about go back & ask them why these are issues and how immediate a problem they are.
Armed with that additional information you then need to make a decision - walk away, negotiate a reduction for the work required or just go ahead as is.
Btw a general survey will often highlight electrical & gas & asbestos inspection as they are not able to do this themselves - you need to look at the circumstances of the property; age, condition, previous uses & quality of renovations to decide whether or not to get further investigations. On most houses I wouldn't bother but older properties or dilapidated properties I would probably get them looked at unless I knew I was going to rip them out anyway.
Hope that helps

lalalonglegs Wed 21-Nov-12 09:41:02

Are you buying the house expecting to do work or not? it sounds as if even the casual viewer could tell it needs work so is the price you are paying based on that assumption?

aufaniae Wed 21-Nov-12 09:43:37

Yes we were expecting to do some work.

I worry that our budget might be eaten up several times over here though, and that's without the new bathroom and kitchen which are sorely needed!

aufaniae Wed 21-Nov-12 09:44:07

Wonkylegs, that's reassuring thanks. Am currently freaking out a bit here!

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 21-Nov-12 09:47:17

Most of those sound like fairly standard things surveyors say (particularly to test electrics and gas - they all say that because they don't have the expertise in those areas to say whether they are up to date), rather than urgent things which need to be done. I think I might be concerned about the external cracking - do they say anything more specific about that? I might also want to get a quote for repair of the flat roof. The rest is mainly cosmetic or non-urgent and I assume you would have noticed things like the double glazing being a bit old. None of it would be a deal breaker for me.

6 and 7 suggest they think there could be prospects of rising damp - again it's a standard one, because surveyors like the outer ground level to be a certain amount lower than the inner floors. You can fairly cheaply have a channel cut around the edge of the house and filled with shingle to address that if you are concerned (I did this when the same comment was made in a survey on an 1830s house I used to own).

member Wed 21-Nov-12 09:51:05

Electrical/gas are standard. I'd get a couple of builders round to estimate to help with budget. Chimney stack sounds like it could potentially be dangerous but also that the cost would be shared with adjoining property.

In short, I wouldn't be put off until I'd had professionals of the trades involved have a look because surveyors tend to cover their arses!

Quodlibet Wed 21-Nov-12 09:53:00

OP this list looks like a combination of things that are very easy to sort (eg clean blocked guttering, get boiler records in order) and things that might be larger (outside wall cracks). Why not sort the list into two halves so it seems less daunting?

A very good resource is The Building Sheriff (google it) - his site will tell you exactly what is involved in a lot of jobs and the likely cost. Replacing flashing for example can be quite a quick/cheap job.

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 21-Nov-12 09:53:22

Have just seen your other thread about asbestos - I think on reflection in your position I would get this looked at, or at least raise it with the sellers as they may have investigated it themselves. Not all asbestos is the harmful type and even if it is, this will only be an issue if you intend to disturb it. However, you should make sure you are well informed about the potential costs if you decide that it needs to be removed. The sellers will have the same issue with any other potential buyers so don't worry about them withdrawing from the sale. At the stage you have reached they are likely to be prepared to compromise rather than losing you as buyers.

soverylucky Wed 21-Nov-12 10:28:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Wed 21-Nov-12 10:47:13

Just been on your other thread, you are going through it a bit with this survey, aren't you!

1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 - sound like routine non-urgent repairs/improvements unless the survey specifies otherwise. There will always be things like this to do. I would plan for them over maybe the next year but not be worrying that the house was going to fall down. I would do guttering (cheap) and external ground levels/sub-floor ventilation (because damp is a pain once you've got it) first, then the roofwork.

2 - also routine, but as others say could be pricey if it turns out the whole flat roof needs replacing so be good to get a quote for that.

5 - this is the only one that would seriously worry me.

8, 10 - sounds like work you must have anticipated?

11, 14, 16 - standard tests

12 - bit random. Not sure what I'd do about this. Open the windows more??

13, 15 - not sure about these. They sound routine and easy, but would enquire further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now