Talk

Advanced search

Re-upholstering sofas; three the same or 2+1?

(12 Posts)
7to25 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:28:40

I am having three small sofas I keep in my family room reupholstered. I was going to have two done in a lightish neutral velvet and the other in a toning coloured velvet with a textured pattern.
I have been told by friends and the upholsterer that this is old hat and they should be all the same. his would be the plain fabric on the three sofas.
I feel this would look like a fire sale in a sofa factory, as they are identical in style.
What do you think?

pengymum Mon 19-Nov-12 13:56:07

I'd go with different tones. Don't like all same.

7to25 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:58:46

thanks Pengy
I'm having a real crisis of confidence (I have got to that age) and I await other replies with interest.

kitsmummy Mon 19-Nov-12 13:59:45

I'd have one different. Three in a neutral velvet sounds a bit yawn...

Bubblemoon Mon 19-Nov-12 14:00:22

Mix and match not matchy matchy.

RunsWithScissors Mon 19-Nov-12 14:02:27

I agree, mix it up. Might be "old hat", but a lot of things are done a certain way for a reason ;-)

Any interiors magazines I look at mix things up. Stand your ground, ignore their comments. It's your house after all.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 19-Nov-12 15:07:45

Yes I like the thought of one being done in a different but complimentary fabric. Go for it!

MandaHugNKiss Mon 19-Nov-12 15:27:51

If you like mix and match, do you truly care that it may be considered 'old hat' by some people?

I think there's a big difference between classic and old hat. Perhaps some people can't see it? wink

7to25 Mon 19-Nov-12 15:53:23

I do not really care, but one friend in particular has been adamant and vociferous about how wrong it is.

fresh Mon 19-Nov-12 16:38:38

Well your friend can have her sofas all the same! I agree with you, one in something different is much less boring, and it looks more confident as well. And it's not old hat either. So there! grin

7to25 Mon 19-Nov-12 17:15:33

Thanks, fresh, much appreciated

pootlebug Mon 19-Nov-12 19:09:17

Your sofas, your choice.

FWIW I wouldn't do them all in the same either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now