Advanced search

Completing tomorrow, 2 big holes in new carpet! What to do?

(12 Posts)
aufaniae Thu 15-Nov-12 20:39:36

We're completing tomorrow. We advertised the flat as having a new carpet (as it did!)

I'm not living there, a friend-of-a-friend rented (at a knock down price!) for a few months, and then another friend stayed just for a week.

One of them has managed to put a holes in the carpet (the bigger one about 3 inches by 2). Looks like possibly hair straighteners did it?

What do I do? We hand over the keys tomorrow!

Can I claim on the insurance? Would insurance cover hair-straightener-on-the floor accidents?

Can I claim anyway as I'm just about to move out!


ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 20:43:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noisytoys Thu 15-Nov-12 20:44:08

Leave a new home card with some money for a new carpet? That's what our vendors did when their boiler broke just before completion

aufaniae Thu 15-Nov-12 21:01:36

I have absolutely no money to offer for a new carpet, not till the money from the sale comes through anyway.

We only had the place carpeted 3 months ago! Cost £800 for the whole flat. I reckon that room was probably about £250. I just don't have it!

If we're going to pay for it they'll have to wait.

No I didn't take a deposit. Nor am I going to take friends to court. I don't know which one did it. If one owns up then we can hopefully agree something, but if they both deny it I'm stuffed.

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 21:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aufaniae Thu 15-Nov-12 21:05:17

There's absolutely no way I'm going to take both to court. I would rather write the money off.

FWIW the second friend stayed there for under a week, she was visiting London and I offered. She didn't pay me anything.

ClareMarriott Thu 15-Nov-12 21:26:24


Just two things to say on your post. Did you advise your insurance brokers / insurers that you were renting out your flat as it a material fact that effects your policy ? You would only be able to claim on your contents policy if you had the accidental damage extension on it to cover something like this. An excess would also apply to any claim.

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 21:31:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 15-Nov-12 21:31:13

If you leave a cheque then surely the money from the sale will clear before they have a chance to cash the cheque.

VikingVagine Fri 16-Nov-12 06:26:26

I'd write a check and leave them a note to explain what happened, and ask them not to cash the check until the sale money has gone through. If you're lucky they might take pity on you and not cash it at all.

I'd deffinately be asking both friends what happened though, and would let them know how much it's going to set you back.

aufaniae Fri 16-Nov-12 07:24:24

I will be asking friends by text today. If one of them owns up, then we can discuss what to do. I'm just conscious that if both debt it I won't know who's telling the truth. But hopefully I'm worrying about that for nothing!

avivabeaver Fri 16-Nov-12 10:29:12

you can claim from your insurance but lots of ifs

accidental damage cover in place

renting out?-- i would not mention it to the insurers.-- Get photos. Call the insurers if the buyers complain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: