Talk

Advanced search

Advice on practical hard wearing craft proof extendable dining table

(4 Posts)
Brighteyes27 Wed 14-Nov-12 22:35:33

Can anyone advise on a practical, hard wearing, low maintenance, craft proof extendable and every day dining table (probably wooden look to match room or possibly painted?). We have an Ikea one you have to oil (every so often can't remember the name) but the wood on the tabs top has badly split and the surface has been used and abused by my craft mad daughter so this is on its last legs.
I did buy a protective table cover /cloth thing but hubbie didn't approve so this wasn't used. We need it to seat 4 every day but with the capacity to extend to 8.

Aethelfleda Wed 14-Nov-12 22:39:44

"hubbie didn't approve"...

Maybe check the Ikea catalogue for a more craft-compatible hubbie?

We get around this issue by having a coffee table (one of those phuket Thai jobbies that we bought for £60 from a craft market). Most craft is done on this, it's covered in glue, glitter, marks and the surface is trashed. Ten years from now when the kids have grown I will pay someone to resurface/p

Aethelfleda Wed 14-Nov-12 22:41:14

"hubbie didn't approve"...

Maybe check the Ikea catalogue for a more craft-compatible hubbie?

We get around this issue by having a coffee table (one of those phuket Thai jobbies that we bought for £60 from a craft market). Most craft is done on this, it's covered in glue, glitter, marks and the surface is trashed. Ten years from now when the kids have grown I will pay someone to resurface/polish it up so it actually looks good again.

Our dining table was £50 from a secondhand small ad, and has a big table foam protector plus a pvc cloth. Deals with most things and the "real" surface only comes out at birthdays, Christmas and the occasional party!

Brighteyes27 Wed 14-Nov-12 22:53:29

i should explain our house has a more modern less fussy look to it than we had previously as we had an extension and our table is in a sort of open plan area between the kitchen and living room. Our table is used for everything (all meals, craft etc). We don't really have room for a coffee table and also we have quite a large dog so anything on a coffee table would be fair game to him.
Don't really want to replace hubbie (or the dog) but our table is a bit passed it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now