Talk

Advanced search

Please help me help my mum with tiles for her new kitchen!

(8 Posts)
BieneMaja Wed 14-Nov-12 20:23:30

My mother has ordered her new kitchen smile

She had a last minute wobble and changed EVERYTHING so the tiles we were going for just aren't going to work...

It's a small kitchen, the units are Matt cream and the work tops are oak. Stainless steel appliances and hood etc.

The tile area is small, about 3mq. Just don't know where to start! I think if she knew it would actually "work" she would happily go for something with a bit of colour. The floor will have to be done too so that will most likely be cream tiling of some sort ...

Suggestions gratefully received! I need inspiration!

Ps the kitchen is directly off a living room with oak floor and f&b tallow and cooking apple green so it can't clash too badly with that!

7to25 Thu 15-Nov-12 10:06:11

sage green glass tile from tops?
Anyway, something to tone with the cooking apple green
Not sure about the tallow with the CAG but you know the room, not me.
How is the tallow with the kitchen units?

financialwizard Thu 15-Nov-12 15:54:24

If that were me I'd wimp out and go very pale beige. I have just received some pale beige anti slip admittedly they are for a toilet tiles from topps tiles are they are gorgeous. Textured with colour variants in them.

BieneMaja Thu 15-Nov-12 19:53:03

Thanks. The tallow and CAG are already up and look great together. I am erring towards some pale cream metro tiles. Then do the walls in something to complement the living room colours.

discrete Thu 15-Nov-12 20:01:20

Am I the only one who hates metro tiles?

Maybe I'm just old enough to associate them with a very institutional look.

I'd go for some sort of green too - probably a pale sage green or similar.

fossil97 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:19:49

It sounds like a classic style kitchen so I'd go for light cream metro tiles or square tiles. I'm sure they are no more institutional to most people that granite is like a graveyard or stainless steel like a commercial kitchen. It's much easier to put colour into a room with accessories and wall paint that permanently stuck to the wall as tiles.

On the floor I'd go for a beige-brown slate or stone effect porcelain tile that has similar tones to the oak floor and worktop - cream floor tiles are evil although people of our mothers' generation are probably better at mopping up...

Maybe like this or less textured here?

BieneMaja Fri 16-Nov-12 11:20:17

I really like the second one of those floor tiles. Something like that would work well.

I like the metro tiles for small areas. I can see the point about being institutional, but that's more for whole rooms IMO

Bobloblaw Fri 16-Nov-12 11:52:54

We have cream units with oak worktops and we have brick shaped travertine tiles and I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now