Talk

Advanced search

Glass fronted kitchen cupboards

(9 Posts)
FishfingersAreOK Tue 13-Nov-12 21:12:19

I have a couple of these in my lufferly new kitchen. Largely due design/look...not because I am a tidy cupboard keeper....so...

Any hints? I have loads of storage in the rest of the kitchen so can keep things uncluttered in the visible cupboards. Should I put plates/bowls in and keep them useful (Does anyone know of any attractive stands for plates/bowls.) Or should I just put a couple of key/big things in (gravy boat, glass bowl, denby teapot). Any thoughts?

And they are there..Installed. Add the perfect balance/light reflection for which they were chosen so please do not slag off glass fronted cupboards too much else I shall sob {pathetic puppy-like emoticon}

Murtette Tue 13-Nov-12 21:56:36

We're going to have two glass fronted wall units in our new kitchen and the plan is that they will be used almost for display purposes so things like the teapot, sugar bowl & milk jug. If that looks a but naff, then I'm thinking wine glasses as we only use a couple a day so the cupboard will mainly be full whereas if its mugs then we'll be constantly taking them out & re-stocking so its going to be a constant state of flux.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 13-Nov-12 22:53:10

We had them in our last kitchen. I wasn't keen but dh insisted; so I agreed on condition they only ever contained plain white china neatly stacked or glasses. I have to say, for all my reservations, they looked great. It was a bit of an arse having to keep all the food in drawers though.

Crikeyblimey Tue 13-Nov-12 23:01:42

I keep all the spices in one of ours (in lovely matching kilner jars) looks really good and useful. In the other side of the double unit, I have my naice tea things - teapot, cake stand, tea plates, cups and saucers (all nicely stacked and "placed"). Cos I is posh (or a bit of a twat) smile

Sinkingfeeling Tue 13-Nov-12 23:27:52

If I had nice matching wine glasses, champage glasses or tumblers I'd keep them in glass-fronted cupboards. smile

CharlotteWasBoth Tue 13-Nov-12 23:47:55

You can get nice plate racks in chrome from John Lewis. I'd put rarely used, big, decorative items in there though, then you don't have to worry about keeping them tidy. Glasses can look a bit plain and boring in a glass fronted cupboard IMHO -- you need a bit of colour.

dottygamekeeper Wed 14-Nov-12 08:59:06

I chose to have one set of glass fronted cupboards, and had the inside painted grey, and I put our our everyday china (which is white), in there on the bottom, stacked (so that it doesn't matter if you remove a few plates or bowls during the day), then a shelf of glasses, then a display of white jugs on the top shelf. I love the way it looks with the contrast between the white and the grey.

In my previous kitchen I had a dresser with glass fronted cupboards, and painted the inside yellow, and had blue and white china inside. I do think having a contrasting coloured background makes it look more interesting.

Doilooklikeatourist Wed 14-Nov-12 09:10:31

I have 2 glass fronted cupboards . One has the teapot , cups , saucers milk and sugar , all wedgwood country ware ( white ) rarely used .
The other has glass dishes , ( used for cereal ) a cake stand , veg dishes . Basically a mixture ! But it looks nice IMHO .

FishfingersAreOK Wed 14-Nov-12 12:43:25

This is fab, thank you. Think Granny's Denby teapot and Jamie Oliver cakestand are definite goers then. Mine are oak-lined cupboards in an off-white kitchen so I think some white serving dishes etc may have the same contrasty effect.

I think I may leave glasses elsewhere as they may not show up as much. Just need the bedroom floor sanded, the dust to settle and be cleaned, the granite fitted and stuff can start going in. Whooo hooooo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now