Talk

Advanced search

Moving house - packing service?

(13 Posts)
sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:28:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 11-Nov-12 10:08:13

Mine did last time I moved. Every last little item done methodically room by room and neatly boxed up. My best tip is that, before they come, have a ruthless clear-out of all your junk. Hire a skip. You don't want it all lovingly wrapped smile

CMOTDibbler Sun 11-Nov-12 10:14:47

I've been packed twice - tis wonderful, and last time, apart from packing an overnight bag, I packed nothing - they just picked up the whole drawer of underwear, sealed it over with paper and put it in the van.

Only things they won't move are flammables like paint, camping gas etc.

As they are ruthless packing machines, you do need to pack clothes for a couple of days (inc shoes), a set of bedding, and other necessities and put them in the car, and empty the bin, otherwise you will have nothing out, and rubbish packed. Last time we let them pack our bed and used a blow up mattress so we knew we'd have it all at the new house the next night, and that worked well.

sparkle9 Sun 11-Nov-12 10:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doradoo Sun 11-Nov-12 10:24:52

Packing service is excellent - and as everyone says they pack EVERYTHING - even the bin so make sure it's emptied!

Also, their insurance will only cover their packing so don't do any yourself! Worth every penny for it - even when you're paying yourself IMO

CMOTDibbler Sun 11-Nov-12 15:47:18

It does make everything much more relaxed - last move, we only knew 10 days in advance that we'd move 150 miles (had thought it was all off due to issues with our buyer/ vendor getting fed up), both were working ft, and ds was 14 months. I took the day off, left ds in nursery, cleaned behind the packers, and in 6 hours, everything was on the van.

AdriftAndOutOfStardust Sun 11-Nov-12 15:52:41

it's great and yes they do pack everything - but there may be no rhyme or reason to where you'll find things if you have lots of clutter about the place - things will just be swooped up, wrapped in packing paper and put in a box and it can take a while to find things at the other end!

FernandoIsFaster Sun 11-Nov-12 15:57:54

We had a packing service when we moved last month and it's possibly the best money I have spent in my life. It took them 6 hours max to totally pack a 4 bed decent size house. I did absolutely nothing other than set aside what I didn't want them to pack, so toothbrushes, shampoo etc.

Ours were great and wrote on every box what was inside and so it was really easy to unpack too.

mateysmum Sun 11-Nov-12 15:59:25

Good advice above. Ruthless packing machines describes it! I'd also keep the kettle and T bags and a few mugs as this is always in the last box to be unpacked, by which time I'm gasping for a cuppa. Think about where you want things in the new house and within reason group them together for packing so that they will be in the right place when you unpack. Make sure they label the boxes appropriately by room and any other code you want. When you get to the new house put a post it notice with the matching code on the door of each room so the boxes go in the right room. Anything you don't want boxed, keep isolated or before you know it it will be packed - especially things kids will want in the next couple of days.
I always keep our passports and other important documents, jewellery etc with me - just in case.
Oh and think carefully about any liquids/paints/ potentially messy if spilled substances and either take these in the car or make darn sure they are packed well and away from other things.
We've done several international moves with packers where you don't see your stuff for at least 6 weeks, so you get to be very analorganised.

VerityClinch Sun 11-Nov-12 19:31:00

Our packers individually wrapped and packed the Dominios pizza dips in the fridge and some ketchup sachets...

Toughasoldboots Sun 11-Nov-12 19:32:24

Yes, I discovered a tenderly wrapped dirty nappy on one house move. I am surprised that the cat didn't end up in a box too. They seem to go on auto pilot.

CMOTDibbler Sun 11-Nov-12 19:36:21

grin Verity. Move 1 with packers, they very carefully wrapped and packed an empty wine bottle.

This move, we got them to put just about all the boxes that weren't clothes or kitchen in the garage so we could unpack and sort from there, which was very successful - meant the rest of the house felt moved in from the start, then we could do a few boxes a day

BerthaTheBogBurglar Sun 11-Nov-12 19:41:05

Organise everything. Have your whole house really really tidy with everything in its place, so that it will get packed in the right place and you'll be able to find it at the other end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now