Talk

Advanced search

mother of pearl tiles...

(8 Posts)
MandaHugNKiss Sat 10-Nov-12 16:32:55

I've looked at millions of tiles lately, as I need to pick tiles for the bathroom, kitchen and futility. I may as well take up residence in the futility (if it wasn't an empty shell at present) as I seem to be going around in circles getting nowhere...

However. As of last night I've become taken by the idea of mother of pearl tiles in the kitchen. Got cream integrated handle gloss kitchen arriving on Monday. Walnut stained oak floors going down shortly after... holding off deciding on tiles/worktop until I see those two in situ.

I know I definitely want some sparkle/shimmer/glamour somewhere... so was thinking I'd get plain metro tiles and a pale quartz worktop with flecks of mirror in.

But mother of pearl tiles. Sooooo beautiful. But very impractical? Even for someone who cooks very little/virtually never does any frying? Anyone have it?

So beautiful... <wistful>

MandaHugNKiss Sun 11-Nov-12 09:51:58

Hopeful bump... there must be someone who knows. I want them! (which I suppose means I should just get them? But if they are really impractical then it's quite an expensive mistake to make)

LCarbury Sun 11-Nov-12 14:55:39

It's just made of tiny glass beads I think so I would have thought that would be OK? Was just reading the info on these ones: www.firedearth.com/freshwater-pearl

MandaHugNKiss Sun 11-Nov-12 19:58:43

THanks, LCarbury. Those ones are gorgeous and I do like them a lot... but the ones I am lusting after are actual shell rather than a glass with pearlescent/opalescent effect.

I've ordered a sample, anyway. Further angst (or not, may turn out I don't love them 'in the flesh') when it arrives!

LCarbury Sun 11-Nov-12 21:42:20

If it is actual shell I wonder how it is made, maybe it is sandwiched between a ceramic back and a glass front? I would think if the front of the sample is hard and smooth it would mean it was safe, I suppose you could try chipping the edge and seeing if it all powders off

MandaHugNKiss Sun 11-Nov-12 22:26:38

Well, these are the cheapest I've found them (although £110 per sqm isn't cheap exactly...) ta-dah! these may be a better colour match for cream units though (but £171.49 per sqm!) Badabing!

Yeah, I suppose I wasn't clear - they are mosaic, so, I presume, small squares of actual shell. Will hopefully be clearer when I get a sample...

Miachow Thu 09-May-13 06:45:18

I saw a huge collection of wonderful mother of pearl tiles from cheap to expensive here:http://www.dintin.com/mosaic-tiles/shell-tiles.html also with many color,size options.

narmada Thu 09-May-13 10:38:25

Miachow do you by any chance work for the company you've linked to hmm ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now