Talk

Advanced search

Cost per sq ft or metre for floor sanding and varnishing (SE England)

(10 Posts)
km17621762 Thu 08-Nov-12 13:13:15

I think this is often charger per sq ft or metre but what is the going rate please?

pootlebug Thu 08-Nov-12 13:28:01

I think it varies on a number of things - where you are located, how awkward the room is (e.g. large square room easier than a room with lots of details like fireplaces etc).

I just got several quotes and compared. The other thing that made a huge difference was that I wanted someone who would fill gaps between boards with wood rather than filler. Everyone I know who has had gaps filled with filler has been disappointed with how quickly it has fallen through and looks rubbish. Ours has only been done 18 months or so but still looks great.

TWvirgin Thu 08-Nov-12 15:32:58

We got quoted around £25 sq m. Oiled / lacquer finish was same price.

km17621762 Thu 08-Nov-12 16:41:54

Thanks both of you. What are the pros and cons of oil versus lacquer TW?

TWvirgin Fri 09-Nov-12 08:43:17

No idea. I asked which was more durable as it's a kid's room and lacquer by far, was the answer. I would assume oil brings out more of the wood's character out. I'd suggest getting samples of new wood flooring off a website of same wood with the two finishes and you can see which finish you prefer.

FishfingersAreOK Fri 09-Nov-12 10:06:16

Lacquer is like a nail varnish...so if it marks you need a professional to touch it up. Oiled if it marks you can sand the patch and shove more oil on it.

TWvirgin Sat 10-Nov-12 08:46:44

Having had ours just done yesterday - wow, I can't believe how great they look. They used a professional sander that was absolutely dust free, the laquer doesn't really smell anywhere as bad as I expected it to. On the above comment, I personally wouldn't even attempt to sand and oil a patch that got scratched myself so for me that wasn't a factor but I guess it depends on your traffic and how comfortable you are with DIY

FishfingersAreOK Sat 10-Nov-12 10:33:20

I've just got a man in North Herts arranged to do a 24sq meter bedroom/walk in wardrobe for £550 all in. Sanding, filling and finishing.

FishfingersAreOK Sat 10-Nov-12 10:33:39

metre even. blush

km17621762 Sat 10-Nov-12 23:39:48

Fish that sounds pretty similar price-wise.
This guy has already done one room in my house but it was as a sub-contractor so I don't know how much he charged the main builder. He did a really good job and his price seems fine so I am happy to go with him then.

We will go with lacquer I think.

Really hope our guy has the dust free sander...suspect he doesn't though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now