Talk

Advanced search

New Carpet for Stairs - HELP!

(7 Posts)
bunnyflops Thu 08-Nov-12 12:33:54

Hi there,

I'm having the carpet replaced on my stairs, following 5 years wear and tear and the constant attention from my 2 year old on the existing cream carpet!!

I want a bold style, preferably stripes, but can't seem to find any durable enough to handle a family of 3 using the stairs a lot!

I don't want a runner and would prefer a wall to wall carpet, just on the stairs.

Has anyone had this kind of style, and are they durable enough to handle the heavy usage of the stairs. If not, what are your opinions on a bright coloured carpet just on the stairs that leads to a cream landing? confused

Thanks!! thanks

FishfingersAreOK Thu 08-Nov-12 18:38:57

You could get something with a stripe that has a cream that matches the other carpet IWSWIM - that is probably what I will do - albeit with a runner - stripes up the stairs leading to solid colour with one colour from the stripes.....ohhhh lots of "colours" and "stripes" in that sentence...going now blush.

bunnyflops Thu 08-Nov-12 19:27:38

Great idea. I've decided against a runner as it works out more expensive than getting the whole stairs carpeted. Our landing is cream so a cream stripe would work well. Thankyou for your advice. smile

PigletJohn Thu 08-Nov-12 19:48:02

it is preferable not to to have stripes going across the width of the stairs (or big patterns) because people may mistake the actual edge of the steps, and fall. This is especially common if it is darkish, they have poor sight or bifocals, or they are tired, drunk, old or young.

myron Thu 08-Nov-12 19:51:27

[http://www.carpets-direct.co.uk/StripedCarpet.asp Here] is a good selection of stripey carpet. I have [http://www.carpets-direct.co.uk/StripedCarpetDetail.asp?id=61 this] on my hallway and landing and I have to admit to liking it over the expensive Wilton carpet in the bedrooms (probably due to the coloured stripes!). It feels extremely durable but I have put down 11mm underlay. Personally, I would replace the landing carpet with the same stripey stair carpet.

myron Thu 08-Nov-12 19:52:38

Vertical stripes down the stairs

WholeLottaRosie Thu 08-Nov-12 20:36:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now