Talk

Advanced search

Last minute wobble...Star Galaxy or Zimbabwe Black Granite Worktops...help please!

(15 Posts)
FishfingersAreOK Wed 07-Nov-12 10:44:37

The kitchen workshops are being templated tomorrow. For months I have planned having Star Galaxy granite...back with teeny tiny flecks of silver and copper. Went into the showroom today just to have a last minute check and having a wobble...is it a bit bling? A bit too bling?
There was also some plain solid black...the Zimbabwe Black. Beautiful. Will show the smears a bit more apparently. Very classy. No bling. A bit dull?
So. Off white shaker kitchen, smoked oak floor, black cast iron range. White walls.. should I do bling? Will I regret the bling? Will I regret not having the bling?

Has anyone else had this one? What did you pick? Any regrets?

Arghhh....I hate decisions like this. (And didn't like any of the other granite as either to blue/grey or too beigy brown)

lalalonglegs Wed 07-Nov-12 12:05:21

I really dislike those granites with "bits" in them so I would go for plain. I also think it wouldn't sit well with shaker units. Have you considered slate which has more pattern in its grain than granite?

Northernexile Wed 07-Nov-12 12:51:08

I have star galaxy and I love it. My kitchen is quite modern, we have a black gloss island and walnut units, and the copper flecks in the granite work well with the walnut IMO.

I'm not sure about star galaxy with off white units. I think I would need to see it in the flesh to decide if it works. I think if you love the star galaxy go with it, if you are unsure the plain black would probably be a safer option, as there's nothing not to like iyswim (and it would be a very expensive mistake to make if you end up regretting it in a couple of months!)

amazonianwoman Wed 07-Nov-12 14:08:22

My friend has off white painted shaker cabinets, a black range and star galaxy and original Victorian wide floorboards and it looks great. Definitely not too bling at all. The flecks help to hide crumbs etc grin

It is a bit of a bugger to keep shiny though - but I don't think she has any decent microfibre cloths or granite cleaner etc which probably makes life easier. But when it is shiny it looks beautiful - I prefer it to the matt/honed/whatever the non shiny black is called.

I actually prefer light grey/stone/beige granite or quartz with a little bit of bling in it, but you don't want to hear that at this stage! And I guess the black works well with your fabulous range envy grin

GrandPoohBah Wed 07-Nov-12 16:05:22

I have an off white shaker style ish kitchen, and we went for an absolute black granite surface - I just think it looks a lot classier and less like it belongs in a nightclub.

Plus it was about 2/3rd the price of the star galaxy! I'm really pleased with it, it looks fantastic.

betterwhenthesunshines Wed 07-Nov-12 17:14:25

For what it's worth - another vote for the non- sparkly one. I think it will too glitzy with the shaker style.

FishfingersAreOK Wed 07-Nov-12 17:36:56

I think I have come to the same conclusion. Two visits to the showroom today (thank heavens is only 5 miles away). Love, Love, Love the Star Galaxy. But each time I walked into the showroom my head just screamed "Too Bling".

I kept thinking well maybe if DH says he hates it then that makes it an easy decision - it will have to be the plain black. But then if I am wanting DH to say that - well kind of says it all.

The plain black though is...well...not as pretty and glitzy - but it is classy, elegant, understated. Still has that wonderful granite shine - but without the bling.

The whole look of the house is understated, muted, (I am hoping elegant even). The kitchen is flat, matt, natural. Wood, light, classic - ie the range. There is the odd bit of chrome - the
hotplate lids on the range - but it is not a bling space. I think the Star Galaxy was just a bit too footballer wives/nightclub in comparison to the space so would really have stood out.

So need to talk to DH tonight (just so he feels he has an input) but pretty much decision made. If he hates the plain black....bugger me I have no idea grin.

Thank you everyone. It really does help to bounce ideas on here.

FishfingersAreOK Wed 07-Nov-12 17:38:08

Oh an amazonianwoman will mean my lovely range is the star of the show and not the granite wink.

kensingtonkat Wed 07-Nov-12 18:50:11

I have installed Zimbabwe granite three times. It never dates. My mother's was done 12 years ago and it hasn't dated. Still looks as good as the day it was installed because it's practically bombproof.

If the smears bother you, ask for a honed rather than polished finish. I've had both, but on balance prefer polished because it reflects light and makes small London kitchens look bigger.

bran Wed 07-Nov-12 18:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FishfingersAreOK Wed 07-Nov-12 19:59:27

DH's view - brown NO. Never. TBH I am not over fond of the brown ones either. DH & I are in agreement - Zimbabwe black - thank god we decided to change today and not after they started cutting!

amazonianwoman Wed 07-Nov-12 20:47:37

Glad you've made the decision! When can I see a pic of your range? Have told DH I'd like a Falcon range for Christmas...

LittleMilla Wed 07-Nov-12 21:21:29

About to say no to the sparkly one. My dad and Step-mum just put it in their new (shaker) kitchen and it jars. Feels a bit footballers wives (sorry to offend anyone!).

Jacaqueen Thu 08-Nov-12 10:24:09

A bit late to this I see but I just wanted to say I would have gone for plain too.

I have read a few of your threads and from what you have said about the rest of your refurb, I definitely think it has to be classic and elegant all the way.

Please will you post some pictures when it is all done. We are about to embark on a major extension and refurb and I think I want mine to look exactly as you have described. Black range, wood burner, shaker kitchen, white walls.
I think I am having limestone flooring in the extension though, as we are keeping the Victorian floorboards throughout the rest of the house.

How long till you are in? Have you managed to have frozen peas yet?

AncientsOfMuMu Thu 08-Nov-12 10:41:26

Glad you both agreed. We've had the Zimbabwe Black for about 10 years and it looks as good as it did when new. It's easy to keep clean. I just use soap (fairy or similar) and water, then wipe over with an e-cloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now