Talk

Advanced search

Can you move a kitchen into the next door bedroom?

(12 Posts)
ditziness Mon 05-Nov-12 20:02:46

Is it possible to move the water and gas into a next door bdrom and have the kitchen in there instead?

Picture on my profile. Wondering about instead of removing the wall, just moving the kitchen into the dining/living room and making the kitchen the third bedroom.

Is it possible? difficult? expensive?

discrete Mon 05-Nov-12 21:33:12

It's likely possible. Kitchen was probably put where it was to minimise the length of evacuation and feed pipes, and messing with that could lead to problems.

The cost can't be said from just looking at the floorplan I'm afraid...it will depend very much on how complicated it is to move the evacuation pipes, which will depend on the access to the main waste pipe as well as the flooring (not so easy if you are digging into a concrete floor), etc. etc.

But it could be a brilliant solution if it is indeed possible, so I would definitely advise taking a builder round to have a look and tell you what they think they can do.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 06-Nov-12 15:06:18

We moved our kitchen to another room, one that had no gas, water and electricity. It is now a fantastic kitchen. What was the kitchen is now a lovely living room.

Water will be the most problematic because of pipe runs, particularly waste pipes. Basically, water only flows downwards, so the height difference between the two ends of a long pipe is going to be considerably more that that of a short pipe - to the extent that the pipe may not be able to be hidden. There are ways to get round this, we used Saniflos to pump the water up, then the pipes could be hidden in the ceiling. We're also looking to move the bathroom to the other side of the house just now, so our solution this time is to feed into a different sewer, which will entail digging up the garden and laying a new drain.

It depends where your hot tank/rising main/drains are sited as to how easy/hard it will be.

EdgarAllanPond Tue 06-Nov-12 19:41:51

theoretically moving a kitchen is something you need building regs approval for.

it is your responsibility as a homeowner to get this.

ditziness Tue 06-Nov-12 20:28:44

thank you everyone!

I'VE HAD A PLUMBER QUOTE AT A FEW HUNDRED POUND AND BUILDING REGS SAY THEY DON'T SEE A PROBLEM. sorry, caps lock, eeeekk

MrsHoarder Tue 06-Nov-12 20:31:55

Wouldn't next door object if you moved into their bedroom?

discrete Tue 06-Nov-12 20:52:00

If it's a flat, do check your lease agreement before getting too carried away.

Even if the flat is share of the freehold, there will be a lease and there may be restrictions on what you can do.

ditziness Tue 06-Nov-12 21:00:36

it's freehold, and apparently in scotland that means it really is, even tho it's a flat

ditziness Tue 06-Nov-12 21:02:10

oh do you mean the downstairs neighbours not wanting a kitchen above their bedroom?

discrete Tue 06-Nov-12 21:09:54

For example, yes.

There are usually restrictions on what you can do in a flat.

ditziness Tue 06-Nov-12 21:36:11

where would I find these out? There's nothing on the home report, and building regulations said nothing about it.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 07-Nov-12 01:45:21

If you're in Scotland ditziness, and still in the process of buying (you mentioned a Home Report), your solicitor should have brought any restrictions/covenants to your attention after the searches (they should have been part of the Search results). Or, most flats have a Factor co-ordinating shared expenses (roof repairs etc.). I'd expect them to know too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now