Talk

Advanced search

Which company makes the most comfortable sofas?

(28 Posts)
Blueschool Mon 05-Nov-12 10:55:33

We are looking for new sofas ( prefer traditional/ country style). Love the look of Laura Ashley sofas but they are more formal than "napping" sofas I think!

Has anyone got a Next sofa? Like look of one of their sofas called Burleigh I think, and wonder if worth visiting the showroom?

Like the look of sofa.com sofas but showroom too much of a trek. Has anyone tried one?

Or any other suggestions for comfortable sofas are welcome smile

Thank you

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 05-Nov-12 14:20:06

I like multiyork the best and you choose so many different variations cushion softness, feet etc.

KirstyJC Mon 05-Nov-12 14:23:13

DFS. We had our first from them for 9 years and it was still as comfy as the day we bought it. Cleaned up a treat when it was about 6 years old and we had it professionally cleaned too - it really did look like new again!

Only replaced it as we moved house and wanted a different colour and style. We have replaced with another DFS suite as well - you can't beat the price and they are so comfy and soft. Service was very good both times too - delivery when they said and they called first etc.

You do need to try them first in the showroom though, as different styles felt very different - some were springy and soft, others much harder.

Blueschool Mon 05-Nov-12 16:14:59

Thank you. I have never heard of multiyork will check them out. Do they have showrooms?

Might head up to the DFS showroom too.

I do love the look of bluebell on sofa.com the best- has anyone tried one?

fussychica Mon 05-Nov-12 16:21:49

Multiyork (expensive) or IKEA - Ektorp is very comfortable and pretty cheap

WeatherWitch Mon 05-Nov-12 16:22:33

Sofa.com ones in my experience are very comfortable - my mother has just bought one without visiting the showroom and it's divine, and her neighbours also have one and it's similarly snuggleworthy. The website reviews all say how comfortable they are. Samples are all dispatched v quickly, and my mother's one arrived a lot quicker than the initial dispatch time suggested.

I'm not on commission from them, I promise!

StopEatingThatMud Mon 05-Nov-12 16:26:21

I love my Harveys sofa and have happily napped on it many a time when dd was small!

EldritchCleavage Mon 05-Nov-12 16:27:38

My sister has a sofa.com sofa and it is really fabulous. Looks very smart, too.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 05-Nov-12 17:05:29

Multiyork have showrooms and sofas are all made in the UK.

Blueschool Mon 05-Nov-12 17:37:15

Oh seems sofa.com is possibly a good choice.

Though I prefer the price of the Ikea Ektorp of course! Is that really a comfy sofa? When I have sat on Ikea sofas in the past I thought I would be better of saving my money and getting a rock. However that eKtorp looks quite squishy.

PoppyWearer Mon 05-Nov-12 17:38:38

We have a Furniture Village sofa made from jumbo-cord and it's very very comfy indeed.

Sausagedog27 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:39:42

I love our John Lewis sofas- v comfy!

BeatTheClock Mon 05-Nov-12 19:41:16

Love my new Ikea Tidafors.

greyvix Mon 05-Nov-12 20:27:49

We also have sofa.com sofas. They are very comfy, and improve with age.

AngryFeet Mon 05-Nov-12 20:32:05

I love my Next sofa. Got it in a January sale so it was only £350 for a big 3 seater. Sooo comfy smile

noviceoftheday Mon 05-Nov-12 20:47:46

Definitely Multi York as you can pretty much "design" the sofa. We chose the sofas for two rooms to be all soft and squidgy and then for the other room (more formal reception room) to be really hard. They let you go home for a week with huge samples so you can get a feel for them.

Blueschool Mon 05-Nov-12 21:38:41

Thank you so much for your replies everyone.

Lots of investigating to do now smile

SunnyUpNorth Mon 05-Nov-12 22:04:14

We have just ordered our second sofa.com sofa.

We have the Jackson already (now called Isla) and have gone for the Saturday sofa for our next one. Our current one is about 5 years old and still looks great and is super comfy.

We really struggled to find a sofa last time as my DH wanted one he could slob out on full length and that was the best one we found that also looked smart but was comfy.

We were in London last weekend so went to the showroom as online I couldn't decide between the bluebell, Saturday, Isla and another one I can't remember the name of! If you have a chance I would recommend the showroom,I know it's a pain it's only in London but we ended up ordering it in a fabric we would never have picked online. It was made up on this fabric in the shop and looked great.

The best thing about then is their customer service. All the fabric samples arrived the next day when I ordered them. I then enquired which fabric the bluebell was in on their website (pic with the little girl and blue wall) and it was a bespoke romo fabric and a sample arrived the next day again.

The bluebell was gorge in real life and wasn't too different to the Saturday which we went for. The Saturday worked out cheaper as it doesn't have back cushions and my DH liked the idea of two less cushions to contend with. Their house linens work out quite reasonable.

I was raving about them on another thread recently, I am not on commission either, I just love them!

Tweettwonk Sat 22-Mar-14 22:02:09

I must say that Sofa and Co are a lovely company to deal with... We have been looking for a sofa and they have a great range of sofas let alone fabrics you can choose from and the staff seem only to willing to help ... there is a new one in Bishop Stortford , Herts that has just opened... Try it think you'll like it a lot .

squiby2004 Sun 23-Mar-14 09:14:59

We got ours from Sofas and stuff. Both H and I tend to fall asleep on it in the evenings as it's like being in bed. It's a huge L shape and it's the most comfy sofa I have ever had.

Stay away from the likes of DFS and SCS which ate both poor quality and hugely overpriced. They then offer these massive discounts to make it seem you are getting a bargain. Also overpriced to allow for the fact that majority of people but them on 0% free loans and the overpricing funds this in reality.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 23-Mar-14 16:23:57

Very happy with our Cargo sofa

MrsHerculePoirot Sun 23-Mar-14 16:26:31

Just got two new sofas from furniture village and they are amazingly comfy - we sat on loads in many shops, lots of their other ones weren't so comfy though so I think it also depends sofa to sofa. Also top tip, consider the depth of the sofa and your room, we only considered the length naively! They are fine, but I hadn't quite factored the depth correctly!!!

Bunbaker Sun 23-Mar-14 16:34:14

Having spent the best part of a week on my Next Garda sofa due to illness, I can confirm that it is extremely comfortable.

They have a huge choice of colour options as well.

whereisshe Sun 23-Mar-14 16:51:58

We have ikea ektorp sofas - reeeeeally comfy. And a house we stayed in once on hols had the most comfy sofas I've ever sat on - they were sofa workshop. Sadly I can't afford them sad...

SwedishEdith Sun 23-Mar-14 18:46:26

We've tried loads recently and they only one we both really liked was a Multiyork - the Manhattan. Seats were deep enough to support your legs properly. Loads aren't.

I really wanted to like teh Ektorp because it's cheap they look nice but they just weren't comfortable enough. Have a 9 year old Sofa Workshop one which is OK but wasn't blown away by any when tried there recently.

Some John Lewis ones aren't bad.

How do you try out Sofa.com ones? Do they only have showrooms in the South?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now