Talk

Advanced search

Any builders? - converting basement question

(1 Post)
daisie4 Fri 02-Nov-12 12:11:26

Hi, I'm just after an idea of whether this is possible or vastly expensive. We live in a victorian terrace house, it has quite a large footprint and the back of the house has a good sized room which is currently used as a utility room. I'd like to change this to a sitting room. The front of the house is split into 4 cellar rooms, two quite small, a large one (under our sitting room) and an L shaped room under our hall. I need to relocate the utility room, the two small rooms are too small and the large room has a sloping floor which rises to the front of the house - over the 23 feet it the ceiling height reduces from 82" to 69". So I was hoping to convert the L shaped hall into the utility room (it is large).
My questions are:

- Will this cause a problem with condensation from tumble drier and washing machine, and drying clothes on racks?

- What do I do about walls? - at the moment they are rough stone (the house is made of large stones) some bits have been painted, but the paint is bubbling off I guess through dampness

- How do I get rid of the musty smell - will putting a radiator in do this? At the moment if I store textiles or wood in the basement they absorb this smell.

- Would I be better trying to do something with large room which has three very small windows

- Any idea of costs?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now