Talk

Advanced search

Ikea laminate floor on carpet. Has anyone done this?

(7 Posts)
mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 00:30:31

Hello.
The ikea website says that the their laminate floor can be laid on any surface apart from wall to wall thick carpet.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? There are lots of websites where the recommendation is to not do this, so why do Ikea say it's ok on theirs? confused

We have a not very thick carpet that is about 11 years old and on underlay on a concrete floor? I suffer from bites from things that live in dust and the thought of pulling up the carpet isn't appealing, so am wondering if i could lay the floor over the carpet, instead of using the carpet as the underlay. I was wondering if we could use the plastic underlay on the carpet and under the laminate.

Has anyone ever done this? Was it okay or do I have to rip the carpet out?

Also, I am going for Ikea as it seems quite cheap with a good warranty so is this any good? Or would you recommend another make instead?

Wild love to lay a wood floor but just can't afford that.

Many thanks in advance.

confusedperson Thu 01-Nov-12 09:27:51

I have not done that but removing the carpet is so easy that even I could do it. And it does not take long. Use a facial mask from a pharmacy to avoid allergic reaction. It is so deadly easy that I don't see why you would leave it.

Pancakeflipper Thu 01-Nov-12 09:31:23

No done it but got in laminate in my hall. Cannot see how laying on carpet would give stability, tight fit and not have possible issues with movement in months/years if in an area used daily.

Carpet removing is pretty simple and I think would give a much better finish.

Spirael Thu 01-Nov-12 09:34:02

Can't help with laying over carpet, we ripped ours up and put down some foam underlay. However we did lay Ikea flooring!

Not sure about the long haul, but our floor has been down a couple of months now, exposed to cats and a toddler, and still looks good as new. Lots of people have commented how nice it looks.

Personally I find it slippy at times and prefer the more textured tile effect laminate we have in the kitchen, but my DH actually prefers the smoothness of the wood effect in the lounge. So I guess it depends on what you like!

It was relatively easy to lay, though you need to make sure the grooves are clear of any debris or it won't click properly into place.

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Thu 01-Nov-12 09:42:40

Personally, I'd rip the carpet up.

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Thu 01-Nov-12 09:43:35

You would most likely have to adjust doors etc to clear the height of carpet plus laminate

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 11:58:53

Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of the mask, so will definitely rip it up. Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now