Talk

Advanced search

shower next to window

(6 Posts)
soundevenfruity Thu 01-Nov-12 00:20:51

Hi, am getting controversial messages about the above topic so would really appreciate if anybody has an experience of it. In our new place previous owners replaced a bath under a UPVC window with a shower enclosure. One side of it is glass and the shower is over a low tray. The window is narrow and spans the width of the wall so that when you shower water sprays directly over it. We can't open the window so obviously something went wrong in the installation. Now, I spoke to a couple of window installers and window manifacturers and it's 50/50. I'm being told that this combination always leads to problems and that there are types of windows that would withstand bathroom conditions. Does anybody have the same set up that works? We really can't afford to redo the bathroom yet.

agnesf Thu 01-Nov-12 06:53:16

I had a bath with shower next to a wooden sash window. We just hung a shower curtain along the wall with the window so that water from the shower didn't go on the window - it was a cheap fix - just a shower pole and plastic curtain.

Do you need to open the window? If you have an extractor in the bathroom I can't see that the damp/ condensation would be a problem.

DigWeedSow Thu 01-Nov-12 09:07:51

We also have a shower over a bath next to a window, the window is UPVC and has top vent that opens.

We have had this set up for the past six years and have had no problems with the window itself. We don't cover it with a shower curtain so it gets wet on a daily basis, luckily we aren't over looked and the glass is very opaque so there is no need for a blind.

However the top vent does not provide enough ventilation on its own, if your window doesn't open I would recommend a very efficient extractor fan. In an ideal world I would prefer a different layout with the shower away from the window, however that's not going to happen in our teeny tiny bathroom!

soundevenfruity Thu 01-Nov-12 16:15:29

Thank you for replies. I won't be very keen on a shower curtain as it will make the bathroom more darker. And the window is not opening because the metal parts are rusty (?). We are definitely getting an extractor fan so for the time being it should be ok.

SunsetSongster Fri 02-Nov-12 09:14:29

We have this set up and cover the window with a shower curtain. When we moved into the house the previous owners had left an opaque white curtain which made the room seem even smaller. We replaced it with a mostly clear patterned shower curtain(got a nice one from Habitat at the time) and it looks much better.

CaliforniaLeaving Fri 02-Nov-12 20:06:38

We had this at our old house. Bath under the window and when we showered the window got wet. I hung a white shower curtain up to try and save it all, but it was a mess, the window latches did rust and I didn't like water on the sill. That was top of my list for the house we are in now, no window over the bathtub/shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now