Talk

Advanced search

Hoping to move. Should we do ours up a bit?

(40 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 23:11:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mybabyseyes Wed 31-Oct-12 23:24:12

They say neutralise & declutter. My friend sold after first viewing by doing this.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 01-Nov-12 08:08:59

Speak to your local estate agent. I was told not to...kitchen and bathrooms were clean but dated..all 3 EAs said to leave. I did declutter and paint the hall so initial impression was clean and fresh, not slightly crumby from DCs and dog

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 08:14:14

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 01-Nov-12 08:25:06

What does your EA say? (though they are not good at being honest, ime).

My recent experience is that buyers can see beyond the bad kitchens/ bathrooms and will bid accordingly.

Make sure it is all clean, and as de-personalised as you can manage.

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 08:28:28

ClareMarriott Thu 01-Nov-12 09:08:16

If you want to move and are going to see houses , the vendors may ask what your position is . Yes, make sure your own house is clean and decluttered and ask your DH to check that there are no DIY things that still need doing and get that estate agent in . Preferably get 2 or 3 valuations and chose the one that reflects the current asking prices for your type of property . But aslo go with the estate agent that gives you the most confidence - make them work for their commission ! Good luck

GrendelsMum Thu 01-Nov-12 18:02:34

I would say clean extremely thoroughly, and declutter extremely thoroughly - but I think it might depend on what state it's in.

Some friends got a bargain of a house which they bought from a family with young kids - they suspect part of the reason it was cheaper than it might otherwise have been was because the kids had trashed it, and it looked pretty grim. If this is the case, it might be worth doing a lick of paint where it's worst?

When I sold my late gran's house, we did also do a few jobs - repainted all paintwork in bad repair and replaced carpet in the bathroom with lino, as far as I remember.

ja9 Thu 01-Nov-12 18:06:39

Agree re declutter. SERIOUS declutter..not a half baked attempt!

Imvho redecorating may help to sell your property faster but won't really increase value. Heating, kitchen, bathroom and extensions raise the value...

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 18:09:58

GrendelsMum Thu 01-Nov-12 18:12:02

Well, in that case tackle the garden and the rest is probably fine.

You might want to ask an honest friend for their opinion, though!

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 18:13:32

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 18:15:08

rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Nov-12 18:15:43

SoupDragon Thu 01-Nov-12 18:18:21

Do any outstanding repairs but don't do stuff for the sake of it. If parts look in disrepair, it makes the place look uncared for and lead buyers to suspect there may be stuff that they can't see.

rubyrubyruby Sat 03-Nov-12 18:04:19

No, put yours up for sale before finding somewhere. Otherwise you risk losing your dream house while you wait for a buyer.

rubyrubyruby Sat 03-Nov-12 19:16:26

lljkk Sat 03-Nov-12 19:35:44

If you wait to list yours until after you find what you want, you are more likely to miss out on it. Although I don't think you really want to move, anyway.

I felt very resentful towards seller who were listing speculatively, they only listed because they had seen a single specific property they wanted & if that one went off market then they weren't accepting offers and they were at high risk of busting the chain if anything fell thru on that one and only specific property they wanted. We couldn't be more different. We were willing to rent for a while after sale if that's what it took to get our property sold and to be in a position to buy what we wanted when it came up. I suppose you are exactly the sort of seller I'd be trying to avoid.

rubyrubyruby Sat 03-Nov-12 19:42:58

bamboostalks Sat 03-Nov-12 19:50:58

You definitely will regret not having yours sold if you do see houses of dreams. Your buyer will probably wait for you if needs be.

shugfish Sat 03-Nov-12 19:56:27

You may however find that when you do find your dream property the sellers don't accept your bid if you haven't already got a buyer lined up for your home.
Having almost finished a very long moving process most of our local estate agents would advise people not to accept offers from people in your position. I know that sucks as we've just been in the situation where our flat sold extremely fast and then we were under huge pressure to find a property.
Other option is to sell yours and move into rented which would put you in a better position.

rubyrubyruby Sat 03-Nov-12 20:02:48

FishfingersAreOK Sat 03-Nov-12 20:18:40

It took us 7 months to sell ours. We would not have had our offer accepted on our dream home or it will be once all the work had finished if we had not been ready to proceed.....just saying....

rubyrubyruby Sat 03-Nov-12 20:38:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now