Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in West London?

(23 Posts)
HerRoyalNotness Wed 31-Oct-12 22:57:39

Following on from my, moving to Reading thread. They failed to mention we didn actually have the project and subsequently did not get it hmm, the company has now put on the table a London move. <doesn't hold breath>

Our office is in hammersmith and we have been looking West. We would be commuting on the tube most likely. We would like to buy, our guesstimate is up to 400k, 3 bed min, ideally 4. A doer upper (extending, bathrooms etc) we'd have to find for less. We have a DC in reception and one in daycare. Which areas would you recommend?

I found a cracking Place in Hounslow, what is that like? Is the commute too far with dropping off at 2 different places for the DC, then going on to work?

TIA

HerRoyalNotness Wed 31-Oct-12 22:58:39

We'd also be looking at possibly reselling in 3years, so something we could add value to would be ideal in a way.

Gravenwithdiamonds Wed 31-Oct-12 23:10:08

Check the flight paths - the plane noise would be enough to put me from living in Hounslow.

Isleworth is near and cheaper than the usual extortionate west London house prices. Ealing and Acton are also slightly cheaper than Hammersmith/Richmond/Kew/Chiswick etc. To be honest, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a 4-bed for £400k in London - maybe further west, Thames Valley is cheaper?

Best of luck...

HerRoyalNotness Wed 31-Oct-12 23:21:45

DS1 would love to live under the flight path! We've been searching isle worth and brentford too, there are a few around in our range.

Out of the cheaper areas, which would be the better to concentrate on?

CelticPromise Wed 31-Oct-12 23:27:04

Check out Rayners Lane, Ruislip, Sudbury end of Harrow. Easy trip to Hammersmith and very affordable. I only know LB of Harrow, it's nice and green with good transport and schools.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 31-Oct-12 23:39:04

Will have a look Celtic, thanks

riveroise Thu 01-Nov-12 06:01:08

Osterley is nice, tube is on Picadilly line, big NT park, handy for A4 and M4, 30's commuterland houses etc.

Isleworth has some nice victorian/edwardian houses.

MandaHugNKiss Thu 01-Nov-12 09:52:57

I grew up (first 18 years of life) in Isleworth. Hounslow used to be a vibrant area, great shopping, multicultural, schools were not great (but I went to school in Twickenham, Richmond authority, anyway - probably not as easy to do now as it was back then)

I have had occasion to go there a few times recently, 20 years later, and I wouldn't want to live there unless absolutely necessary. It has a very run down feel/look (although I'm sure there must be some residential roads that are probably smarter than the area in general).

Isleworth has some smart parts and other not so smart parts. A huge council estate with four high rise blocks (summerwood road, aka Ivybridge) was a no-go area for years and although the council have made strides trying to improve it by knocking down some of the flats and replacing them with houses, it's still not a great place. There are also two huge sprawling council estates that are all houses (Worple/worton roads) - quite a few of these are now privately owned. At the other end of the scale there are gated communities near the river that will cost a pretty penny to live in wink. There's a newly refurbed LA leisure centre/library, a massive Tesco. Old Isleworth is the nicer part (and where I regularly go for breakfast at Greedies even though I have lived in SW London for the last 17 years!).

(also, I'm directly under a flight path (where the landing gear typically comes out, actually!) and you really don't notice it... along with the rail track I live along!)

pippala Thu 01-Nov-12 11:22:13

I bought a one bed studio apartment last year in Brook Green for £225.000 so prices are quite high in west London.
Having said that I love it here, bustling night life, wine bars,bistros etc.
Tube at Shepherds Bush or Hammersmith within walking distance, westfield just down the road etc
I work at St Mary's and feel very safe commuting after late shifts etc.
Good luck with your search.

HerRoyalNotness Thu 01-Nov-12 11:52:04

pippala, that's more than we paid for our 4bed in the north east at the height of the housing market grin London is really on another scale isn't it? Sadly, we probably couldn't find anything that close to our work, but it would be great!

I will definitely check out Greedies if we make it over there.

We're only assuming that west is the best to live for our office location, are we dismissing areas in the north that could work too? And are nice places to live? For instance as someone suggested Harrow, we saw this place Wood End Ave which is lovely and all done. Wait, is that PEBBLE dash? That will give me something to do. Is all of Harrow okay, or are there parts we should avoid/concentrate on? There look to be a lot of suitable houses, but of course, we don't know the area.

<sorry, I know nothing about London, lived in the north for 2years, but am not from UK at all)

girlsyearapart Thu 01-Nov-12 11:55:33

We live in ham which is half way between Richmond and Kingston. It has no station which makes it cheaper but you can get to Richmond which has tube and train by bus or walking easily.

Also the far end of twickenham is cheaper but you d still need to get a bus or walk a fair bit to the station.

Some parts of isleworth are nice but personally I wouldn't want to live in hounslow

HerRoyalNotness Thu 01-Nov-12 12:05:22

the perfect house <dreamer>

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Thu 01-Nov-12 15:49:51

Oooh good luck for your move! We are in Ealing and a quick search on rightmove turned up nothing for you, but you could try Hanwell (which is nice) and Acton.
If based in Hammersmith, you could also head out of town a bit - opening up Maidenhead, Amersham, well, bucks/Oxfordshire really. High Wycombe? Much better value for money and seems nice (the ltd number of times I've been)

CelticPromise Thu 01-Nov-12 18:36:05

There's nowhere to avoid really in Harrow, although like all of London there are rougher bits. I suggested Rayners Lane for the tube line, there's also Eastcote which is in Hillingdon, also a nice area. I live near Pinner which is lovely but not as handy for transport to Hammersmith.

CelticPromise Thu 01-Nov-12 18:39:03

Just looked at your link, nice house! South Harrow is not one of the nicest bits of the borough but it's perfectly ok. It depends what your priorities are for things close to home- do you want to be able to walk to shops, park, cafes etc.

paulapantsdown Thu 01-Nov-12 19:03:24

Its nice out here in Hillingdon. Easy access by car/tube to Hammersmith. Good Schools, green spaces, lots of shopping centres and independent shops. We are 40 mins from centre of London and 40 mins from the countryside. Its a good place to live. My DH is from Hanwell, and we wouldn't live in Hanwell/Ealing anymore if you paid us, its rough.

this is the sort of size property you can get for 400k

or this

MrClaypole Thu 01-Nov-12 20:09:27

If you want somewhere that will increase in value, buy somewhere near one of the Crossrail stations. It is planned to open in 5 years time and will give great links to the city and beyond, plus access to the high speed rail services up North.

www.crossrail.co.uk/route/maps/#.UJLWjsW6dc4

Hounslow is not very nice at all IMHO.

mumzy Fri 02-Nov-12 14:51:15

Ham would be my choice bus or bike to richmond station then tube to hammersmith 400k should get you a 3 bedder which you could do a loft conversion on for the 4 th bed. Hounslow is grim!

HerRoyalNotness Sat 03-Nov-12 17:38:05

Lovely, new suggestions, thanks! Good idea about the cross rail, will take a look. Funnily, we work for the company doing the job

Lulabellarama Sat 03-Nov-12 18:22:54

The problem with lots of the further out suburbs of London is that they're a bit soulless. I recently moved away from Ealing/Hanwell as we couldn't afford to buy there, but as places to live they're fab. And definitely not rough, bar the odd spot. But if you find anywhere in London without rough spots I'll eat my hat.

Lulabellarama Sat 03-Nov-12 18:27:02

Hounslow is really not great IMO
Have a look at Streatham, you can do overground from Clapham to Olympia. You will have to stick to 3 beds though I reckon

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 03-Nov-12 22:58:48

We loved Ealing but moved (a mighty distance) away to buy a house. I think Hanwell is okay and we used to overland sometimes from Brentford. Ealing has fantastic transport links but it is quite expensive and I doubt you'll get the house you want for your budget.

Do check flight paths as it can be noisy. Ealing used to only get the planes occasionally and it was so loud you couldn't chat in the garden when a big one was flying over, I wouldn't want that every 15mins!

I would also add that childcare costs can be massive in London too, another reason why we've moved sad

HerRoyalNotness Mon 05-Nov-12 16:00:09

Yes childcare costs will kill us. We only pay CA$154/mth here, subsidised by the government. We've been thinking about DC3, and I'm not sure if it will be great timing, as I'll be at home for probably half of our time over there, or a bad move incase we get extended and we'd have 2 in full time daycare, and 1 in before/after school. <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now