Talk

Advanced search

not sure if this paint looks ok, advice please!

(13 Posts)
Imlostwithoutahope Wed 31-Oct-12 13:20:09

I've just painted my kitchen f&b skimming stone. It's a lovely pale gray/cream colour. It looks nice on all the walls until I did the one next to my cupboards. My cupboards are a cream but I think the paint has now made them look nicotine yellow! I've put a picture on my profile. Could you see what you think. Maybe I'm better painting that wall a colour as opposed to a neutral or am I stressing over nothing?
Thanks

kitsmummy Wed 31-Oct-12 13:34:10

I agree - from the photos it doesn't look like two colours that you'd naturally put together. The skimming stone looks quite cold next to the cupboard probably not what you want to hear

fatnfrumpy Wed 31-Oct-12 16:11:51

i agree with kitsmummy the colour looks a bit cold!
I couldnt see a photo of the kitchen but I especially like the blinds in your diner!

amazonianwoman Wed 31-Oct-12 17:59:01

Something like Slipper Satin might be better?

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 31-Oct-12 18:36:35

Arghh... I thought so. Typical after finally deciding on one colour and lots of indecision.
The old colour was natural wicker by dulux which was a pinky creamy cream but after 6 years of it plus having it in all other rooms I got bored and fancied a change.
That's the only wall where it's directly next to a cupboard as I don't have any wall cupboards so there would be worktop and tiles in between on the other walls. Do you think I could get away with painting that wall a completely different colour ie green/purple and going with this colour everywhere else or won't it look right with my tiles either?
Tiles www.tiletown.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid

Thanks again

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 31-Oct-12 18:39:31

Fatnfrumpy, thanks, the blinds were from fabric by harlequin. My mum made them for us. I've just taken them all down now to put new ones up smile

RunsWithScissors Thu 01-Nov-12 09:35:55

I think a different colour would work well. Is the first picture in your profile part of your kitchen?

If so, I think the wallpaper has a blue design on it. Maybe see how that blue would look next to the cupboards. That way it's pulling it all together (looks intentional, instead of a fix ;-)

RunsWithScissors Thu 01-Nov-12 09:36:59

Sorry, forgot to say that I couldn't see the tile link. So I couldn't say how it would work with the paint.

Imlostwithoutahope Thu 01-Nov-12 16:41:20

Hopefully this tile link works better

www.tiletown.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid=727

Runs with. That part is linked to the kitchen but I've stripped the wallpaper off, it was the old one.

I'm putting up this wallpaper instead
www.harlequin.uk.com/DesignDetails.aspx I choose skimming stone to tone with the greyish colour on the paper

careergirl Thu 01-Nov-12 18:46:20

struggling to see the pic tbh
But just had my kitchen painted in Snowdrop it is a lovely light cream which really pleased with. It was from the Crown neutrals range

Imlostwithoutahope Thu 01-Nov-12 22:30:12

Sorry ill try again. This isn't a good pic as the green looks very vibrant.

It's the harlequin Bella stripe in green.
[[ www.briantcurtaining.co.uk/images/uploads/Anoushka/Anoushka_20_LR.jpg]]

RunsWithScissors Thu 01-Nov-12 23:27:05

Not sure which one is the green (links to a specific page seem to struggle on that site), if it's #110051, I'd go for matching the very dark purple (second stripe shown in the sample, very narrow line). I think with a light tile colour, light cabinets and other walls really light, a dark dramatic colour would look great, and hopefully help balance out the nicotine effect you mention.

Would love to see what you go with. Please post an update when done.

Imlostwithoutahope Fri 02-Nov-12 21:32:11

Runs with, thank you for the help. Yes that was the wallpaper. I think your right. Now I need to persuade dh to let me do a purple wall smile and choose which blinds to go for the windows. I'm tempted as we have French doors and 4 other windows to go for the ones which go inside the UPvC casement to avoid long cords etc but theyre plain and boring!

once it's done I'll show the finished look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now