Talk

Advanced search

Just bought our first property to refurbish!

(16 Posts)
fatnfrumpy Tue 30-Oct-12 23:18:51

I am very excited that our offer has been accepted and today we got the mortage. So all being well we should complete in the next six weeks! eeek!
Never done this before so will need to check in here on a regular basis for tips and advice!!
Hopefully this link will work to the property that we are buying!
Please give me your opinions as to what you would do to it?

http:wwwrightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39337991htm/

MandaHugNKiss Tue 30-Oct-12 23:30:22

Link not working...

But congrats!

We just completed on our first house a month ago, needs everything doing to it, so I know that excitement/how daunting it is grin

fatnfrumpy Wed 31-Oct-12 00:00:51

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39337991.html
Hope this links works?

financialwizard Wed 31-Oct-12 07:17:33

http:www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39337991htm/

financialwizard Wed 31-Oct-12 07:18:03

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39337991.html

financialwizard Wed 31-Oct-12 07:21:20

Only took 2 attempts blush

That doesn't look too bad. New kitchen and bathroom. New flooring, complete re decoration.

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 31-Oct-12 07:28:50

Goodness, those are some interesting carpets and wallpapers grin
Good luck, are you doing most of it yourselves or getting people in? bitter experience
It is a nice house, lovely garden smile

ditavonteesed Wed 31-Oct-12 07:36:45

Looks like all the walls are in tact and tuff, major redecorate, does it have central heating?

Brugmansia Wed 31-Oct-12 07:54:40

I don't understand how the upstairs layout works from the plans. Do the back rooms all lead one to the next?

Are you planning on keeping the layout as it is or considering a way to move the bathroom upstairs?

Nivet Wed 31-Oct-12 07:59:37

That is LOVELY and a great project. I have friends who live very near there, good location.

I always think you should look at being safe, dry and warm before anything else so electrics, roof, dampproofing, central heating, insulation, double glazing. Once that's done you can start the fun stuff. Did the survey throw up anything?

You should EBay the bathroom suite if it's in good condition. In fact sell any random 70's tat kicking around!

I'm a bit jealous, I love a project that involves guilt free shopping for kitchens, bathrooms etc.

I've had a couple of kitchens from Howdens, my builder has an account there and has let me have trade price using his account. They are good quality.

If you are looking for classic white bathroom suites I've used Bathstore a lot and been impressed with their customer service.

I used to keep a scrapbook of bits from various house magazines so that when we got to the decoration stage I had a good idea of what I wanted.

Nivet Wed 31-Oct-12 08:55:09

Do your neighbours have extensions or loft conversions? You could always ask to have a nosey for layout inspiration - people who have just renovated sometimes like to show off!

If you had the budget a two storey extension at the back so you could have a bigger kitchen and move the bathroom upstairs would be a good idea?

fatnfrumpy Wed 31-Oct-12 10:34:13

Thanks guys,
Yes it has GCH and DG so that is one less expense!
Plans are budget permitting:-
Knocking toilet and bathroom into one downstairs and gaining 2ft extra in the kitchen.
white suite, white tiles, slate floor.sink in vanity unit for storage.
Kitchen white gloss, solid oak worktop, intregated appliences ie fridge/freezer, washer dryer, dishwasher all hidden. Howdens or Benchmarx.
Block off the kitchen door to give more cupboard space and put doors from the dining room to the outside instead.
Lounge and dining room open up the fireplaces again and replace with woodburner in lounge, victorian reclaimed cast iron fireplace in dining room.
Hopefully sand and varnish original floorboards downstairs.
Upstairs to get to the 3rd bedroom at the back you have to walk through bedroom two!
We hope to put up a partition wall in bed two to make a corridor to bed three.
we also hope to make a jack and jill shower room in the cupboard between bed 1 and bed 2!
Won't be able to get plumber to size it up until we get keys in about a month.
Last but not least if we have any money left is I would like to add a door from bed3 onto the flat roof above the bathroom and make a roof terrace for drinks watching the sun go down!
Garden is great just need to put some pebbles down in front and paths, creasote shed and weed.
We hope to have it back on the market by next May.
I am thinking of making a blog as we go along.

7to25 Wed 31-Oct-12 10:41:04

You will have to get rid of what looks like polystyrene tiles on the ceilings.
You will have to look for better internal doors.
What are the electrics like?

fatnfrumpy Wed 31-Oct-12 11:38:56

financialwizard thank you for sorting out the link for me!
Yep 7to25 in the survey it said the polystyrene tiles were a fire risk. New doors needed I like the stripped pine ones?
Whole house going to be rewired and replastered. Once we have stripped wallpaper and woodchip in kitchen'
There is a wallpaper stripper in homebase for £30. Would this be a good purchase or is it better to hire a more professional one?

BehindLockNumberNine Wed 31-Oct-12 11:44:02

Gorgeous house, has a nice feel to it smile

Your plans sound great.

Our first property was a Victorian semi. We moved on from there two years ago after 13 happy years there and I still miss it!

Enjoy x

7to25 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:05:47

That wallpaper stripper will be a good buy and as good as the hire ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now