Talk

Advanced search

Would you live in Portland? It looks really really cheap is there a catch?

(19 Posts)
mulranno Tue 30-Oct-12 11:45:16

Thinking of buying a holiday home ont he coast -- never been but it looks so much cheaper than any where else

PolterGoose Wed 31-Oct-12 18:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 31-Oct-12 20:15:53

It's a very close-knit community IYSWIM? DH lived there for a few years because of his job and he said it wasn't a friendly place for outsiders ie people not born and brought up on Portland. Although it could have changed over the years.

Portland Bill is nice for a walk, and see the crashing waves. Not sure I'd want to consider a holiday home there though.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:50

There was a fab radio 4 thing about Portland a while ago, explored the stories about rabbits. I've heard there's people on Portland that think Weymouth is a long way away and for occasional trips . . -I'd choose Weymouth instead if I were you. Lovely for a nice walk around the lighthouse though!

Littlemisspoorly Wed 31-Oct-12 20:23:44

Look at stories about Portland in The Dorset Echo news. It may tell you all you need to know.

LFCisTarkaDahl Wed 31-Oct-12 20:24:14

Have you seen the wicker man? hmm grin

Raeray Wed 31-Oct-12 20:30:05

My mum lives on Portland- but only moved there a year or so ago. It is a very close knit community (local people and local things etc grin ) but is nicely placed for lots of lovely beaches, costal walks etc.
I live in the south east myself so was also amazed at the prices of property there! Don't think I could live there full time - but as a holiday home I think it would be quite a good base, as there's so many places you can visit near by.
Hope that helps! If you want any Portland insider info just pm me and I can ask my mum for you smile

trikken Wed 31-Oct-12 20:33:51

too high for me. too far to get to anywhere else that isnt Portland.

queenrollo Wed 31-Oct-12 20:49:11

DH lived there for several years until about 5 years ago. He said it's ideal for a holiday home. He found the people friendly, but he did work on Portland and immersed himself in local life.

I just read him the comment about people from Portland thinking Weymouth is a long way and he chuckled and said 'well, yes that's true'.....

He knows Portland well, PM me the location if you want an idea of what it's like.

queenrollo Wed 31-Oct-12 20:50:39

he just said there are two distinct communities....tophill and underhill.

Tophill is where the quarries are, and underhill is basically fishing and diving.

out2lunch Wed 31-Oct-12 20:51:59

i would guess its cheap because no nearby job opportunities

DorsetKnob Wed 31-Oct-12 20:52:40

Two prisons, one road on and off, no beaches so to speak so have to go back into Weymouth. I go there a bit because of work and it is just bleak.

DorsetKnob Wed 31-Oct-12 20:54:23

Some quirky, shops and cafe's though, the national sailing academy.

SwedishEdith Wed 31-Oct-12 21:16:23

I think a holiday home there would be fine- just make sure it's walkable to the beach. Young locals had an open attitude to smoking weed whilst shopping.

trikken Wed 31-Oct-12 21:25:03

There is a Tesco there now.

Littlemisspoorly Thu 01-Nov-12 14:43:13

There is a Tesco there now.

Oh...I didn't realise....that's OK then.

grin pullin' yer leg wink

puffylovett Fri 02-Nov-12 22:48:05

My sis has just moved there from Cheshire dahling and loves it. Yes it's a bit grey and bleak but she has a sea view, can hear the waves crashing on chesil cove, has made some lovely friends, great childminder, spent half the
Summer at castle cove beach or walking the island. My BIL wants to buy a beach hut by Portland bill so he can swim with the locals. DNephew is horse riding ! They're having great fun. I think moving there before the Olympics really helped them bond with community a bit.

puffylovett Fri 02-Nov-12 22:49:32

(it is a bit 'don't stray from the path' and yes there are 2 prisons but it's a good base to explore from I think)

guineapiglet Mon 05-Nov-12 10:41:16

Hi - have just come back from a three day break there and can't wait to go back - it is a very quirky place, weather amazing, changes all the time, the views out to Purbeck are fabulous. IF I had that view everyday I would never go anywhere else, seriously! You can get to Weymouth easily and Dorchester for hospitals etc - we thought it was a really individual place, not cutesy, or Costa-fied, which was part of its charm, very much its own character. No sandy beaches, but great coastal walks. Property very reasonable and attractive - Wakeham area lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now