Talk

Advanced search

Completed today! Now concerns over dd...

(9 Posts)
OhEmGee25 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:18:00

Yay! Completed on our gorgeous new house today. It's 'only' taken six weeks from offer accepted to now including managing to knock our offer down by £11k to account for a new roof. BUT I have a 2.5 year old dd who doesn't sleep at the best of times and so I'm bricking it bout the move. I know the first few weeks will be a nightmare. I've shown her pictures everyday of the house and will take all her furniture and furnishings to her new room. Any suggestions to make this transition easy for both of us?!

financialwizard Mon 29-Oct-12 17:31:58

I have moved round the world with my now 2.5 yr old. She has just got in her bed with her favourite toy and gone to sleep. We had a week of her getting up unsure as to where we were, and a couple of incidents of wetting herself but that is it.

housesalehelp Mon 29-Oct-12 21:14:30

we moved with my DS at that age - we went and visited just before we moved in which he liked. then I set up his room in the same way as in our old house - and he was fine - not bothered at all - I thought it would have some knock on but no -

mejon Mon 29-Oct-12 21:32:45

DD1 was the same age when we moved 2+ hours away from the outskirts of a city to the middle of nowhere. She was absolutely fine and tbh it never crossed my mind that it might affect her at all blush. We made sure that her room was sorted first and as she was still in a cot at at that age everything was pretty familiar. She then moved into a toddler bed a few weeks later. I would proabably try not to make too big a deal out of the whole thing. She'll pick up on your anxieties so try and relax smile.

midseasonsale Mon 29-Oct-12 22:15:07

I think if everything else is constant in her life (friends, other places etc) then it should be straight forward. My DS found moving 100 miles away a little harder aged 2.5 as he was so attached to his friends and fab life style. He is actually quite an easy going chap otherwise but was really aware that nobody knew him here. Took about 1.5 years to fully settle, the the hardest bit being at the very start.

FishfingersAreOK Mon 29-Oct-12 22:59:12

Her home is where you are . She may be a bit confused for a few days , she may not. Just be loving and reassure her by keeping as many routines the same as normal and she may not even notice that much IYSWIM

MousyMouse Tue 30-Oct-12 10:24:47

make it an adventure.
when we moved we had to camp in one of the bedrooms for a few days until the furniture was put back together. it was lovely. dc had fun exploring the house during the day.

girlgonemild Tue 30-Oct-12 23:06:08

I don't know if other posters read the 'doesn't sleep well at the best of times' bit! My 2.5yr old is also a terror sleeper and going on hols with him is a nightmare sleep wise so I do understand.
I think having the same stuff in as similar a lay out as possible has got to help. Think about smells (use same laundry stuff) and lighting as well, try and keep light levels the same as you currently have at bed time. You might have to stay with dd until she falls asleep to start with...if that works. We are looking to move and I fully expect to have to go through the whole sleep training process again with ds. My sympathies! Hope it's not too unsettling for her. If she has managed to learn better sleep patterns once I doubt it will take too long for her to learn them again in a new setting.

OhEmGee25 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:36:55

Thanks girlgone! That's exactly my concern. I took her to the empty house yesterday and let her run around for an hour which she seemed to enjoy. Will just stick to a very precise bedtime routine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now