Talk

Advanced search

Laundry upstairs instead of downstairs?

(12 Posts)
propitia Mon 29-Oct-12 14:39:59

After being mildly envious of friend with chute from bathroom to laundry room ever since I first saw it, I finally got to wondering about having washing machine & drier upstairs...anyone done this? We could put it in spare bathroom when we redo it sometime in the future & leave that room with shower instead of large bath.
I don't dry on the line & ironing board lives in spare bedroom next to spare bathroom. All clothes currently routed down to kitchen then back upto bedrooms. Seems illogical really.

Pannacotta Mon 29-Oct-12 15:35:23

We are in the process of moving our washer and drier upstairs as we dont have a proper utility room and no space for one downstairs.
I also dont line dry really so cant see the point of having the machines downstairs whem most of our washing is generated upstairs.
I am looking into ways to reduce the noise and juddering, there are a few things on Amazon which are supposed to help with this, eg

www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Electrolux-Washing-vibration-50291828007/dp/B0027DJ5C2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2M6GIT0A1CB6B&coliid=IVF0VOCEOQVSE

ggirl Mon 29-Oct-12 15:51:29

I have always thought it would be a better idea to have them upstairs , hadn't thought about the line drying angle though. Only relevant in the summer for me.
A complete laundry room upstairs would be ideal , washer /dryer/ironing board/radio and telly , loads of shelves and baskets , I'm sold!

FrighteningPuffin Mon 29-Oct-12 15:53:29

Fab idea and one I wish I could do in my house.

envy <---- My face jealous face right now

grin

FrighteningPuffin Mon 29-Oct-12 15:54:00

*jealous face even

[arse]

amidaiwish Mon 29-Oct-12 15:58:19

these are quite common in america - laundry rooms upstairs

but they don't dry clothes outside much

the only other point would be washing machine/tumble dryer going in the evening/night time when kids sleeping. Would that be an issue?

bureni Mon 29-Oct-12 16:01:45

Not a chance, there is no way you can have electrical outlets and appliances in a bathroom.

nemno Mon 29-Oct-12 16:04:30

I have turned a bedroom into a laundry room. It has sink, worktop, washer, drier, airer, extractor fan, dehumidifier, ironing board and wardrobe, chest of drawers in it. It works really, really well. Unfortunately all the house programmes make me feel as though I've done a terrible thing re devaluing the house. Am I really going to have to reinstate a double bedroom if I want to sell? This would turn it back to a 4 bed but the washing machine would have to go back in the kitchen with wet laundry back into the family bathroom (have one of those sheila maid airers on ceiling in there).

Pannacotta Mon 29-Oct-12 16:12:06

I am pretty sure you can have a washing machine in a bathroom, but I think it has to be hard wired. Speak to a good electrician to confirm.

nemmo I wouldnt worry if I were you, am sure there are lots of families who would love your set up and dont need 4 bedrooms.
I have given over a double bedroom to storage and clothes drying - our upstairs laundry room wont have any space for that unfortunately. It works for us.

clam Mon 29-Oct-12 16:21:56

amidaiwish is right, it is fairly common in new houses in the US. We went house-hunting there a few years back looking at new-builds and they all had them - the washers and dryers are MASSIVE and they put the washer in a kind of basin in case of leaks.

propitia Mon 29-Oct-12 17:22:34

Wow, that moved fast!

Thanks for all replies - must investigate electrics issue.

Not entirely mad idea, clearly.

Yorky Mon 29-Oct-12 19:03:02

When our extension is built, the laundry room will be upstairs will be upstairs I can't wait

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now