Talk

Advanced search

Can I invoice this annoying tradesman? Legal issue?

(6 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sun 28-Oct-12 13:45:14

We had a boiler fitted around this time two years ago, ie this will be our third winter with it. The plumber was recommended to us by an acquaintance, but then appeared to subcontract it out to a friend/colleague of his, with whom we ended up having a few issues (thread here - in the end, after waiting six bloody weeks for J to come back and fit our shower and radiator in the bathroom, promising every day that he'd be there the next day, I called the original plumber, K, who fitted them immediately and returned our £100).

The boiler is a Worcester with an analogue timer. Last winter, ie the second winter of use, the clock on the timer started playing up - it kept stopping so the time was wrong so the heating either wouldn't come on or wouldn't go off when it was supposed to. DH reckons this happened once or twice the first winter as well but so infrequently we didn't really take any notice of it. I did call K last year and left a message but he never got back to me and the problem wasn't too bad (and I hate hate using the phone blush) so I left it. This winter is become really really bad - the clock basically isn't going round at all now, so we're having to turn the heating on and off manually all the time #firstworldproblems

I've left a message for K, which he ignored hmm and have spoken to him twice. Each time he said he wants to speak to J, who installed the boiler, and will call be back. He hasn't called back. I appreciate it's a busy time of year for him as everyone turns their heating on and discovers it isn't working, but I'm getting increasingly fucked off. I also don't particularly want J back in my house, as I don't trust him and originally contracted with K.

I've spoken to Worcester, who reckon the entire timer will need replacing. They've said that an engineer from them will cost £250, which includes parts and labour.

DH has just found the unposted warranty card under the sink blush so it's probably not covered by the warranty (yes, we are idiots).

WIBU to give K a final chance to put it right and then get Worcester to do it and bill K? Or should I just pay another plumber to fix it? It just pisses me off that we only had one winter of decent use from the damn thing.

Sorry for the rant!

AitchDee Sun 28-Oct-12 13:54:17

Are you expecting your plumber to fix it for free? I can't see as its his fault, unless it has been installed incorrectly?

Surely you need to pursue this with the manufacturer?

AitchDee Sun 28-Oct-12 13:55:49

I've re-read the OP again and just can't understand why you are expecting with one of your original plumbers to be fixing this for free

DitaVonCheese Sun 28-Oct-12 14:08:32

Because they supplied it, so my contract is with them. I wouldn't be chasing them after a decade or so but I thought I could reasonably expect something they sold me to work more than a couple of years?

digerd Sun 28-Oct-12 14:12:58

Trading Standards told me that a boiler with all its bits should last for at least 6 years. If anything goes wrong, the person who sold it to you - the plumber you paid - is responisible for repairing it free. Not the manufacturer. You should contact your area TS by phone, to get this confirmed. And they will send you written advice on how to word your letters to the person responsible.

I had a Worcester Bosch installed 4 years ago, but also with a high tech wireless thermostat that you programme times to come on and which room temperature to be reached. It has a possible 6 programmes per day.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Oct-12 21:24:03

There is a chance the manufacturers will still register the guarantee.

Mine was done some months late, the installer and the manufacturer blamed each other. Mine is a Viessman so has a five-year guarantee and ten for the stainless steel heat exchanger, so the guarantee is quite valuable.

I don't know the length of guarantee on yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now