Talk

Advanced search

Basement flats - best window coverings for light?

(11 Posts)
pinksky Sun 28-Oct-12 13:08:07

We are about to move into a basement flat which has two quite deep recessed windows in the sitting room (faces the road, with a small courtyard).

We want to replace the existing venetian blinds & curtains but I'm not sure what will work best to maximise light but still give some privacy. I thought about shutters, but wonder if these will take light when folded back because of the recesses.

Can recommend a good alternative, or would shutters be good?

OwlMother Sun 28-Oct-12 13:17:54

Frosted windows work quite nicely - either you can have them sandblasted or (cheaper) you can buy frosted film in a variety of designs that dont look bathroom like. There's a knack to filling the film but it's fine as long as you're careful.

OwlMother Sun 28-Oct-12 13:18:12

Fitting, not filling!

Athendof Sun 28-Oct-12 13:19:29

Shutters are lovely, but they originate from hot sunny weathers for a good reason, I'm afraid they woul reduce the amount of light you get even further.
If the courtyard is big and sunny, then why not?

ThePathanKhansWitch Sun 28-Oct-12 13:22:45

Bottom up blinds?.

pinksky Sun 28-Oct-12 13:29:31

Thanks so much for the replies.

The courtyard is deep and painted white, so quite bright but to me the flat feels cold and I do not want to add to that, so good point Athendof.

I'm a bit reluctant to do frosting, Owl because there's no flexibility and I think I'll sometimes want to see out without the window being obscured. I do really like some of the patterned frosting around now though.

Never heard of bottom up blinds, ThePathan - will go and look now!

MULLYPEEP Sun 28-Oct-12 13:31:22

Voile roman blinds and curtains pushed to outside of window frame?

pinksky Sun 28-Oct-12 13:43:43

MULLY Might have to be something like this, thanks. Maybe a really sheer voile blind, and although I didn't really want curtains they might add some warmth into the room.

Athendof Sun 28-Oct-12 14:02:23

I used to have those very popular cheesecloth tab courtains in the past, the let the light through, add warmth, especially when they come in unbleached cotton but I am finding it difficult to find them nowadays. Those courtains with a roller blind for privacy after dark, worked great.

pinksky Sun 28-Oct-12 19:46:05

Thanks Athendof, I like the texture of cheesecloth - agree it doesn't seem to be around much! I could source some fabric and make my own though.

Pannacotta Sun 28-Oct-12 20:40:18

I think a combination of roller blionds fitted into the recesss and full length curtains works best in terms of letting maximun light it. Curtains also add softness and make a room cosier (and usually warmer too).

Personally I would avoid window film as I think it might make you feel claustraphobic, which is the last thing you want in a basement.

In terms of fabric, look for something which a bit of sheen, a viscose and linen mix works well for curtains, nice drape but not too opaque.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now