Talk

Advanced search

would triple glazing help this?

(9 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:29:53

we have a very cosy warm home, but the tiny bedroom that is my sons room has a problem.
we built in furniture - and the bed is next to the window. this was a mistake.
but i think the window is faulty - its double glazed but draughty.the window is always steamed up, and condensation is a problem.

its better now as he has gone to uni, as the door is left open more and the dehumidifier is on in winter.
but i slept in there last night as i have a cold - and it was miserable! the window right next to me felt cold and damp....

i do think there is a problem with it - but im wondering if i get a new one if i should triple glaze? would this help, with the bed being right next to it?

discrete Fri 26-Oct-12 20:50:56

Are you sure the draught is coming from the window?

I once stayed in a place with built in furniture, where the windows were super insulated but there was a huge draught coming from behind the built in bed. I suspect that the place where the wall joined the floor might not have been as sealed as it should have been.

I do think that built in furniture by impeding the flow of air around the room at the walls can lead to condensation/damp issues, not sure what you can do about that.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:05:46

mmmm.....not sure either. i do think the window is buggered though....wouldnt hurt to replace, there is a definite seal problem.

i have often thought it a huge mistake to have built it in. but now, not sure how to rectify it....unless we rip it out and just get a normal bed......thats an option i guess.

i will have to have a think. it does maximise the rooms space - there is storage under the bed....

and it all matches. the estate agent we had vieew thought it was wonderful and showed the room as a usable space, when in reality, its a box, that fits a bed and thats about it! it also matches the built in wardrobe....

dunno.

discrete Fri 26-Oct-12 21:12:12

I actually love built-ins in a small room, but I think they are trickier than one normally thinks beforehand.

If the window isn't properly sealed, you don't necessarily need to replace it, you should be able to just fix the seals.

Do you think the draught is where the frame fits into the wall or where the window fits into the frame iyswim?

steppemum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:11:07

If you are getting condensation on the window:
is the condensation on the inside? then room is damp, window fine
between the panes? then the seal has gone.

If the seal has gone you may be able to replace the window unit rather than the whole window, but unless then window is less than 10 years old, it isn't worth it, replace the whole window

Is the draught from the window? If so where? is there a trickle vent? needs to beopen if the room is damp, but will cause a draught. Is it from round the frame? is there a gap? Can you reseal with a silicon seal around the window?

If the room is damp, then unless there is a water source in the room, it is more likely that the house is damp and that room is the coldest, so the air condenses in there, thus making it damp. If you wack the heating up in there before you sleep in it that should help (but you should also look at where you can reduce damp elsewhere)

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:15:46

the whole house is toasty warm with no damp problems anywhere - this room is ok - but if anyone sleeps in there its terrible.

DS always used to say there was a draught from the window - but i felt it last night.

i cant really say where its coming from - i think the whole idea of having the bed against the window was wrong....

the window is knackered....

but im not sure if it will fix the problem. its ok when the door is open.....when the doors shut or if anyone sleeps there there is condensation on the inside of the window....

steppemum Fri 26-Oct-12 22:27:23

It sounds like the condensation is just because it is a small room, and maybe quite well sealed when the door is shut? So the breath of the person sleeping causes the condensation on the windows.

The draught may just be the circulation of air causing a downdraught from the window.

Long curtains? If there is a radiator, get them a bit longer and tuck them behind the radiator at night?

wendybird77 Fri 26-Oct-12 23:23:36

If the window is knackered and you know it, just get it replaced and see if that fixes it. TBH, I'm not sure what the problem is. A bit of condensation on the window if someone sleeps in there? If that is the only time it happens it probably is just breath condensation. As generally no one sleeps in there as your son doesn't live there anymore is this something to worry yourself about? Sorry if I am missing something. I would just replace the window myself, as you've stated you know it is knackered. If it isn't causing any damp or mould I may just ignore it as it doesn't affect anything or anyone. But I'm lazy pragmatic like that grin.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:27:25

thing is i want to be able to use the room - spare room for us, for DD to have friends to stay, and of course i want it to always be a room for DS to come home to.

been talking to DH tonight and he is all for taking out the built in furniture - the more i think about it the more is restricts use of the room - the wardrobe is too big and takes up about 1/3 of the room.

going to have a think.
it may be the whole room needs redoing - including new window and taking out the furniture. it doesnt work having the bed next to the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now