Talk

Advanced search

is there such thing as property exchange sites?

(3 Posts)
allchangeplease Fri 26-Oct-12 19:26:57

say, when you want to swap your property for one of similar value, possibly with a small cash top-up, without going through selling and agents' fees? To me it makes sense that lots of people would be interested in the idea, but I couldn't find any sites like that.

Also are there any legal pitfalls when exchanging privately?

thanks in advance for any info!

tricot39 Sat 27-Oct-12 11:44:31

the only thing i have seen (when looking into home swaps for holidays) were sites for housing association or LA tenants to swap leases.

i think 2 neighbours arranged a private swap in our road. one wanted to increase into a family home and the other was retired and downsizing. all seemed smooth but it leaves a really wierdly low figure on land registry for the family house like ours which raises awkward issues for full asking prices.

allchangeplease Sat 27-Oct-12 20:04:31

thanks tricot - so really the best way is mailshot, as it sounds. Of course these people may have known each other well, I wonder if htere aer any legal pitfalls still (like can you be conned in some way).
You can explain to potential buyers that though, and if it the only low price house on LR hten people would assume it had a short lease or of freehold ten very unmodernised.
Do you know if LR prices include stamp duty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now