Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about yellow walls and yellow silk curtains

(9 Posts)
strictlovingmum Fri 26-Oct-12 18:12:43

We are moving soon to a very old house, while specious and relatively light, third bedroom DD's room is the smallest, long and tad narrow it also has the smallest window, hence it is dark I don't know what to do with it.
My starting point is pair of lovely soft yellow Maris Laura Ashley curtains, My question, is Can I also paint the walls in yellow? Or should I go for something else?
Which colours do work with yellow?
Furniture in her bedroom will be white, light coloured carpet, white metal daybed with yellow bedding?
I can't afford to get it wrong. TIA
DD is 6smile, so it can be grown up/not too whimsical.

RnB Fri 26-Oct-12 18:40:30

I would personally go for white walls. Yellow would be a bit of a risk imo

NotGoodNotBad Fri 26-Oct-12 18:50:31

How about green?

VerityClinch Fri 26-Oct-12 18:56:02

I think soft grey walls would be lovely

strictlovingmum Fri 26-Oct-12 19:33:48

Ladies thank you, Can anyone recommend good soft grey or indeed green?
Also very wonky walls, so the paint will have to be super matt/powdery.

discrete Fri 26-Oct-12 21:08:48

I think soft grey or green in a dark room risks it looking cold.

I would paint the walls in a yellow several shades paler than the curtains - effectively an almost-white with a tinge of the same colour as the curtains.

If the walls are very uneven you could also consider using a lime paint or something like that with a colourwash in a few different shades - has the advantage that if you don't like the effect you just add another layer, and each layer makes it more complex and beautiful.

Viperidae Fri 26-Oct-12 21:11:44

I think you would have to be very careful with the grey to get one that is not hard or cool looking and agree that a paler yellow could look good.

NotGoodNotBad Fri 26-Oct-12 21:45:39

Found this for some colour scheme ideas.

strictlovingmum Sat 27-Oct-12 11:32:12

NotGoodNotBad thanks for that, some great looking rooms in there I have sort of made up my mind, it will either be white or some sort of yellow wall wash, needs more research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now