Talk

Advanced search

Nice town near Swindon? Advice appreciated!

(10 Posts)
Jellylegs007 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:48:39

My partner has just accepted a job in Swindon and we will be moving to the area soon with our 2DSs. I don't know the area at all but have heard Swindon itself isn't very nice. Does anyone have any recommendations on the surrounding area? I have a 2yo and 6 month old. Looking for somewhere within half hour drive of Swindon with lots of play groups etc and also daycare options (hoping to go back to work at some point).. So far have been recommended malmesbury and hungerford - any advice much appreciated!! Having lived in Paris and London for the last 10 years I'm quite nervous about moving to the countryside! Thanks in advance :-)

PhyllisDoris Fri 26-Oct-12 13:51:44

Swindon is the pits, but there are lovely places around.

As a start, check out
Royal Wootton Bassett
Malmesbury
Marlborough
Cricklade
Cirencester
Highworth

All self contained towns, with good shopping, schools, and all the playgrous and activities you could want, and all a maximum of 15 miles away.

PhyllisDoris Fri 26-Oct-12 13:52:40

Hungerford is a bit far for a daily commute IMO, but depends what you're used to.

SillyBlueHat Sun 28-Oct-12 16:17:09

Marlborough is lovely although expensive. Apparently parts of Highworth can be dodgy despite looking nice. Hungerford is fine but not as nice as Marlborough or Cirencester.

peggyblackett Sun 28-Oct-12 16:19:11

Marlborough
Cirencester
Fairford
Lots of people commute from Cheltenham to Swindon but I wouldn't as its a swine of a commute

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 28-Oct-12 16:34:01

Peggyblackett is being polite.

Avoid like the plague anywhere in Cheltenham or Gloucester that means going near the Air Ballon rounderabout and Birdlip.

It is never off the traffic news and I've had vast no. of calls from DH saying will be late because of it.

Last time I was there it was jammed at 2pm in the afternoonangry

Tweetinat Sun 28-Oct-12 16:36:44

Wanborough is fab. Very close to Swindon (ie 5 mins) and yet a village. There is lots o development planned though which is a shame and will no doubt change the feel of the place, but on the plus side it means lots of houses to choose from grin

midseasonsale Sun 28-Oct-12 17:00:40

Cirencester- great school and well to do but probably not too expensive compared to Marlborough.
Devizes - looks nice but don't know much about the place.

midseasonsale Sun 28-Oct-12 17:02:14

cirencester has everything but a cinema by the way. Good leisure center, hospital, supermarkets, banks, coffee shops etc

Jellylegs007 Wed 31-Oct-12 14:54:55

Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions! We are heading over to house hunt this weekend so this'll be very helpful..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now