Advanced search

Rotten landlord

(4 Posts)
miku Thu 25-Oct-12 17:12:21

I have been in this property for 3 yrs now.Does anyone have any advice on what to do now? im really looking to move out but am brassic!
roof in my bedroom (which i dont sleep in for at least a year now) has a bay window, with its roof leaking into the ceiling, and it stinks! landlord has known about it for a year. The place is beginning to smell very damp(water under the floorboards) landlord.."what smell? I cant smell anything".
I get asthma. my daughter is 8, and her room is beginning to smell bad too.
I am BORED of sending him pics about bits of the house falling down-can I clobber him with anything legal?

LIZS Thu 25-Oct-12 17:25:02

Try the local council housing department, they should have a private landlord officer who can advise on such issues.

MousyMouse Thu 25-Oct-12 22:26:36

contact the environmental health team of your council.
shelter is also very knowledgable and helpful.

TeaTeaLotsOfTea Fri 26-Oct-12 21:39:12

I work for a landlord so I know all the ins and outs.

Definitely report the problem to council "private sector housing team".

Be aware that the landlord can "put it up for sale" and give you notice!

The amount of new tenants we've got because of shit landlords that do this. I don't know why they're landlords.

Find your tenancy agreement. It should state on there an acceptable amount of time for repairs to property to be done then bring it to their attention.

It sounds like the type of job that may need the property to be vacant. In that case the landlord isn't obliged to find a property for you but the local housing can probably help with this. The landlord won't receive rent payments from you while you're not in the property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now