Advanced search

please help me choose a sofa

(7 Posts)
sununu Thu 25-Oct-12 10:08:14

I like this one from sofa.com
sofa
this one from Made is similar and half the price
sofa2
but not as nice (foam cushions instead of feather and a solid back)
hopefully this will last us for years so not something to scrimp on, but the sofa.com one is a stretch. has anyone bought from Made?
any other suggestions where to look?
thank you!

lalalonglegs Thu 25-Oct-12 11:33:28

I haven't bought from either company but do prefer the more expensive one too. Made has a very bad reputation for fulfilling deliveries on time etc. The sofa.com one is on ebay at the moment for #930 (if you live near Cardiff...).

truandrakni Thu 25-Oct-12 12:57:10

Have you tried Laura Ashley, seen similar in there. Always havings sales too.

Pinner35 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:57:59

I prefer the second one.....its beautiful.

SunnyUpNorth Thu 25-Oct-12 13:06:04

I am a huge sofa.com fan, we have the Jackson in the natural flax linen - this is now the Isla. We got the 3 seater and it is huge, easily sits 4 people. We got it about 5 years ago and still looks great. Plus their customer service is impeccable, quite a rare thing these days.

I hadn't thought to look on made.com for a sofa although I've browsed chairs etc before. But I have read bad things on MN about them so have chickened out of actually buying anything.

I am biased towards sofa.com. We are about to order a second sofa through them and are trying to choose between the bluebell, Isla and Saturday sofa.

A couple of things you could consider is getting a smaller size eg the 2.5 seater as they are v roomy, and a cheaper fabric. Their house linen and the brushed cotton/linen mix are really nice. My friend has the brushed one in a light grey and it is really comfy but still looks smart.

Another friend of mine got the Jackson in the armchair and the 2 seater in the natural flax linen. They usually deliver within 4 weeks of order but she was in a rush and contacted them and they happened to have those in stock so she bought them. I think they make up some in popular styles/colours. I am not certain but I think they sell those at a slight discount. Or I could be getting confuse with the ones they sell that have been refunded. They do a no quibble return if the style/colour isn't quite as you imagined and I think they then sell those on at a discount. Better check with them though as that was 5 years ago.

I have also been looking at Loaf (used to be the sleep room) as they are quite a similar style to sofa.com. But I think they are a bit more expensive and I don't think I like them as much. Plus I sent off for fabric samples from each on Monday - sofa.com's arrived the next day and loaf's have just arrived today which reinforces my love of sofa.com!

I would call sofa.com and ask what they have in stock and if they could be sold at a discount. As the previous poster said they also have some on eBay that they are selling. Think they are discontinued lines so quite a good discount.

Good luck!

minipie Thu 25-Oct-12 15:31:40

I notice the seat of the Made.com one is only supported by webbing. This won't last very well and will sag quickly.

I suspect that Sofa.com use serpentine/zig zag springs (though can't actually see this on their site so worth checking). If so, this is a hell of a lot better than webbing, so I'd choose that if you want it to last.

Other similar companies to Sofa.com: Loaf (as mentioned above), Sofas & stuff, The London Sofa Company, Loungin. All these use serpentine springs I believe (though again worth checking re each particular model).

minipie Thu 25-Oct-12 15:32:43

PS Made.com now has a showroom in Notting Hill, and Sofa.com has a showroom in Chelsea/Fulham. If you are in or near London, it's worth a trip to try sitting on both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now