Talk

Advanced search

Which one f&b skimming stone or slipper

(9 Posts)
Imlostwithoutahope Wed 24-Oct-12 13:46:07

I'm just about to go out and buy the paint but can't choose between the two above colours. On the sample I had, skimming stone was the winner but now looking online at full rooms painted slipper looks nicer and less colder.

I'm painting my kitchen which has warm cream cupboards and I was going to paper a wall in my kitchen with a harlequin lime/auberguene stripped wallpaper.
www.tangletree-interiors.co.uk/wallpaper/harlequin/anoushska-wallpapers/bella-stripe/bella-stripe-110051---damson-lime-cappuccino-and-white/
Any recommendations on which one will be best. The other problem is my tiles are squares of shades of brown/taupe/cream colour so I'm a panicking now it'll all look too many colours and a mess.

minipie Wed 24-Oct-12 17:27:49

Have you painted a tester sample of each one on your own kitchen wall? If so then go with whichever you prefer based on that. Also try holding up a bit of your chosen wallpaper/tiles next to the painted tester sample to see what goes best.

F&B paints notoriously look different in different lights so I really wouldn't judge based on website pics of other people's rooms - it will probably look completely different in your room.

I must admit I'd probably choose a quieter wallpaper (eg the Taupe, Fawn and White version of that paper) esp if your tiles are multi shaded as well - but then I am a decorating wuss grin

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 24-Oct-12 18:50:13

Thanks mini pie. I've tried a tester of the skimming stone which matched the beige on the wallpaper perfectly but then online looked more greyer than I wanted. I've just gone out and bought the sample of satin slipper so ill try that tomorrow.
I know what you mean about the quieter wallpaper. The problem is I have cream walls now and duck egg blue which match the tiles but I'm bored of the blue, i saw the lime and purple colours and thought they would be ideal and a move away from blue. the tiles not Harmonising didnt cross my mind until a friend mentioned it, these are similar www.tiletown.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid=727. The wallpaper will be on the opposite walls to the tiles in the dining area.
I bet I'll end up having to change the tiles too!

minipie Wed 24-Oct-12 18:57:15

Mmm, see I think a plain colour would go fine with those tiles, so maybe just a purple wall or a lime wall? It's if you have two different patterns (i.e your tiles and a patterned wallpaper) that the colours need to go, IMO.

Tiles are a bugger to change!

CityDweller Wed 24-Oct-12 19:00:43

I had skimming stone in living room of last flat and loved it. I too was worried about it being too grey and cold, but in fact it does that lovely f&b thing of changing colour throughout the day and I never found it too cool, even though room it was in got a lot of light. During the day it seemed quite pale grey, but in evening w/ lights on it was warm and lovely. I wanted it again in this flat, but our painters refused to work w/ f&b sad

minipie Wed 24-Oct-12 19:05:31

Both are quite warm colours, at least in my house. The main difference is that Skimming Stone is quite a bit darker than Slipper Satin, and Slipper Satin is slightly pinkier whereas Skimming Stone is brownier/greyer. But all depends on the OP's light!

City you can get Johnstones and other companies to do a colour match of F&B but it isn't always exact.

myron Wed 24-Oct-12 20:50:47

I have both - skimming stone in my hallway and landing plus slipper satin in 2 bathrooms, study, utility room, 1 bedroom and cloakroom. Slipper satin is definitely lighter in colour - I have painted samples next to each other before making a decision. Is there plenty of light in your kitchen? What are your adjacent areas painted in? I've painted my adjacent areas in elephant's breath and blue grey which seems to work well with skimming stone imo. I have large windows in my hallway and landing so skimming stone looks great. I have used slipper satin in smaller rooms with less light.

Imlostwithoutahope Thu 25-Oct-12 20:49:34

The kitchen and dining area get plenty of light as it has a apex ceiling with skylights plus windows all along the one wall. The living area it connects with is darker because it has no windows of its own and uses the light from the kitchen. I didn't know if I should paint this in a similar shade but lighter or go for a darker colour and embrace the darkness iykwim.

Imlostwithoutahope Thu 25-Oct-12 20:52:39

I've posted a picture of the wall in question on my profile. The room to the right is the living area and this is the dining part of my kitchen. I thought because it was quite a large open area the wallpaper would add interest but not too sure now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now