Talk

Advanced search

Argument with window company over bill and Fensa certificate

(4 Posts)
WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 23-Oct-12 23:37:44

We had some windows fitted in the summer, it was a disaster as one of the units broke when coming out of the van. It was fitted and we were left with glass around the edge of the frame and over the windowsill and told a new one would be with us in a couple of days and that he had run out of cement and ok'd do the gaping holes on the front of the house then.

We heard nothing for nearly two weeks at which point I kicked up a fuss - apparently the replacement unit had been scratched and they had to order another leaving me with broken glass and gaping holes . Friends were really shocked how it was left, gobsmacked is more accurate. No attempt was made to let us know what was happening. When I complained it was suddenly fitted the next day.

When I rang I said I expected the inconvenience to be reflected in the bill, it wasn't . I sent a cheque and with held £45, paid £1200. Didn't hear anything for ages, today copy of invoice comes through saying bad debt of £45 , Fensa cert won't be issued until settled. I rang and said I won't be paying and that I had found recently a hole under one of the sills which hadn't been cemented. It descended into a stalemate of him saying he won't issue the certificate until paid and me saying I won't pay. Anyone got any thoughts on the situation ?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 23-Oct-12 23:42:48

Actually, we were told two days originally then when pushed the fitter said no longer than a week. Also one of the handles didn't work at first and there was a chip in another unit that had to be replaced. Plus one was supposed to be fitted first as it was urgent and they didn't bother, just waited until they were all ready go in.

BigBadBob Wed 24-Oct-12 08:44:11

Have a nose round the Fensa web site, they can only be fensa acredited if their work is of a sufficiently high standard. Take pictures of their work and give Fensa a call.

A Fensa certificate is just a means to certify the window installation without the trouble and expense of getting the council out to have a look. If they do not issue a Fensa certificate, then contact your local council's building control surveyor who will come out (cost us £102), inspect the windows, check the glass and issue a regularisation certificate. Job done.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 24-Oct-12 15:54:55

Great, thanks. I hoped that would be the case. Have just fired off a letter and photo of current hole plus a long list of facts. They were much longer in getting the units than advised, left us over night with holes right the way round my son's window, another unit was scratched and had to be replaced, handle stuck. Bit of a disaster really !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now