Talk

Advanced search

Curtains for a bay window in master bedroom

(15 Posts)
SmoothOperandus Tue 23-Oct-12 16:08:48

We live in a large Edwardian house and my ds has the master bedroom. Usually I don't like curtains, I am a wooden blinds person, but the windows are so large that they're going to need curtains for warmth and to achieve blackout. We will probably fit wooden blinds in addition.

So my question is. What length of curtains should I go for? I know that the ones that touch the floor give a smarter look, but they would be covering the radiator which is below the central window. Also, wouldn't they look a bit too serious in a boy's room? If we were to have shorter curtains so they would fall just on top of the radiator, I worry they'll look funny, very wide.

What does everyone think and also, can anyone recommend online curtain makers? A local shop have quoted me £900 to make them inc the fabric!!!

Cheers

jennycrofter Tue 23-Oct-12 17:22:16

I'd move the radiator if I could... not helpful, sorry.

I got some curtains online from Kurtinz. They cost £900, but were Romo linen, mega lined, and 5m wide with a 3m drop. A more normal size I'm sure would be more reasonable - I'd been quoted £2k by our local curtain maker for the same thing. Delivery was also really quick, though I can't remember how quick exactly, I think it was about a week to 10 days.

SmoothOperandus Tue 23-Oct-12 19:18:38

The radiator is not going anywhere I'm afraid
That's not even the issue to be honest with you
For me the issue is whether it would look funny that the curtains are so wide but not long?

Pannacotta Tue 23-Oct-12 19:59:10

I think curtains that are very wide but short would look odd, yes. Out of proportion.
I think full length would look better but are not ideal infront of a radiator, which surely is a major issue?
Why not consider interlined roman blinds instead?

SmoothOperandus Wed 24-Oct-12 07:05:34

interlined roman blinds - I do like the sound of that, but would they block the light completely and also the cold?

Flossiechops Wed 24-Oct-12 07:42:23

We have this dilemma in our lounge. Large 5 sided bay also Edwardian house. We are going for full length. We already have white Romans in place but they don't keep out the drafts out. I do think in the way you describe they would look slightly odd. You could always go midway between the bottom of the window and floor instead. Try the natural curtain company they have some lovely designs smile

ISingSoprano Wed 24-Oct-12 07:53:32

We have bay windows too. In dd's bedroom she has curtains which fall to the window cill. Our bay windows are square so they don't look too wide. In the sitting room we have interlined roman blinds which work really well, we had them made by a local lady but I can't remember how much they cost, sorry!

Squitch Wed 24-Oct-12 08:42:28

My dd has a bay window in her bedroom and I went for floor length, but the fabric is quite soft so it doesn't look so 'formal' (for want of a better word) - I got those from Dunelm and they cost me the grand sum of £45!!!! May be worth a look. I also have Dunelm curtains in the sitting room, which are a lovely heavy fabric, with a good lining. They've been up for nearly 10 years now (apart from their yearly clean) and I always get comments about them. I think they cost me about £150

Mandy21 Wed 24-Oct-12 09:26:56

We have the same issue, have been in the house for 2.5yrs and we still have the short length curtains that were up when we moved in, and I hate them with a passion. They look really old fashioned. Having said that, they are quality curtains that block out the light without trapping the heat (the radiator is in the same position as you describe - under the central window).

I would also go for interlined Roman blinds - you can have them tied up very high during the day so they don't block too much light, and if you get them lined in blackout fabric, they'd do the same job as curtains. You've just got to take care with getting them fitted properly and measuring them exactly so no light can seep in around the edges. If you definitely wanted curtains, I think floor length curtains would look better , but you'd lose the benefit of the radiator and in our case, the bay is so big that we have a chest of drawers in it - it would drive me nuts if I had to tuck the curtains behind the chest of drawers and straighten them every time I pulled them / opened them.

I do think you could perhaops get away with shorty curtains in a child's bedroom, but I do think in general they look very old fashioned.

Pannacotta Wed 24-Oct-12 09:45:37

You could always combine wooden venetian blinds with full length curtains and then close the curtains at night but leave them open infront of the radiator, until after the heating is off, then close them fully. The wooden blinds will help with drafts and some of the bay would be covered for warmth.
But this is a faff.

I'd either have floor length curtains with wooden blinds or just interlined roman blinds (made and fitted by a proper curtain maker). Short curtains look a bit mean IMO.

SmoothOperandus Wed 24-Oct-12 10:22:09

Right, thank you everyone, and Pannacotta, I'm going to go with full length curtains and wooden venetian blinds. The drop of the curtains needs to be 266 cm in order to reach the floor and I haven't found a single place online that sells ready made curtains that big. This is going to cost me a fortune!!!shockshockshock

Flossiechops Wed 24-Oct-12 11:05:41

natural curtain company go up to 274cm on their extra long made to measure curtains

SmoothOperandus Wed 24-Oct-12 12:13:02

Flossiechops, the Natural Curtain Company have some stunning fabrics. I have actually bought one of their ready made ones for a different window,

For the master bedroom though, in the end I have gone for 247Curtains because they were way way cheaper than anyone else I have found. I have ordered curtains of 400cm wide and 255 drop and with blackout and they're only £340. The fabric is just a plain cotton cream but it will do.

Now I have to search for the cheapest wooden blind makers...

Flossiechops Wed 24-Oct-12 14:44:13

We have white wooden blinds from 247 blinds with the coloured tapes. Very good quality and the cheapest around definitely worth a look smile

crestfitters Tue 25-Mar-14 19:18:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now