Talk

Advanced search

What's it like living in Marlborough and surrounding areas?

(11 Posts)
Bearface Tue 23-Oct-12 14:23:07

Hello,

My DH and I are thinking of moving to Marlborough (just us, no DCs yet) and wondered what it's like to live there? Is it friendly? Is there much to do? We like pubs, walking, sports and stuff like that. We live in a smallish town at the mo, so we aren't moving from a city, but it is quite busy here. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

PhyllisDoris Tue 23-Oct-12 14:29:34

It's lovely. Marlborough is a really nice town - main supermarket is Waitrose, so that will tell you a bit!
No big chain shops, but lots of shops like White Stuff etc. No cinema, but near enough to Swindon (12 miles ish) so that going for the evening isn't unrealistic.
Good sports centre, good secondary school (St John's College), nice villages all around it - Manton particularly nice.
It is a little touristy, but not very. Lots of posh teenagers from the College floating around town in uniform on weekends in termtime - the town benefits from the business brought in by the school's visitors.

There's a market in the middle of the very wide High STreet weekly, and a great Mop Fair around about now.

What else do you want to know?

Bearface Tue 23-Oct-12 14:35:23

Thanks PhylissDoris - all good info. I guess I just want to know if there is enough going on there really and if people welcome newcomers. I suppose I'm just a bit worried about moving to a traditional town and feeling like there isn't any way for me to make friends and/or that I'm not 'posh' enough for the area - a bit silly maybe.

Bearface Tue 23-Oct-12 14:37:55

Sorry if I sound prejudiced btw, but it's hard when you have an image of a place in your head, so that's why I thought I'd ask on here.

PhyllisDoris Tue 23-Oct-12 14:39:15

I don't live in Marlborough, I live about 10 miles away, but have friends there, and often visit for shopping - it has nice clothes shops and trinket/gift shops (and I love Watirose!)

I don't get the impression of snootyness, apart from some of the College kids occasionally. There are lots of clubs and societies you can join to get involved. Look at this website www.marlboroughwiltshire.co.uk/

It's very "country", but not "posh"

Bearface Tue 23-Oct-12 14:52:43

Thanks PhylissDoris - really helpful. smile

RonettePulaski Tue 23-Oct-12 15:53:21

There's not an awful lot to 'do' and it's very expensive

I wouldn't say it's particularly welcoming, and there's not much sense of community, no carnival because of lack of interest etc

There's nowhere to buy anything useful every single shop is a 'women's boutique'. There are almost no independents left. All phase 8, jigsaw, white stuff, fat face, kath kidston. There are two butchers and a good music shop that's about it got independents

There are very few jobs, most people commute to Swindon, Bristol, London. Public transport is very limited, although there are stations at Bedwyn and pewsey, each about 7 miles away

As a small, country town it's full to bursting. St. John's, recently rebuilt at massive expense is already massiy oversubscribed. It'll take you three weeks to get a doctors appointment. The roads are very busy, and the slightest obstruction causes tailbacks for miles in every direction

There's a few pubs, no cinema or theatre, although a few things are put on at the school and the college has occasional concerts

I find it very parochial and insular. But then equally I have friends who think it charming. It is nice and central to get to lots of other places within an hour, bath, Cotswolds, s coast etc

frostyfingers Tue 23-Oct-12 16:14:04

Before you start looking at houses go and spend a w/end there to get a feel of the place. It's no good finding the perfect house online and then hating the place when you go - do it the old fashioned way the first time and once you know where you like (if you like!) then start house shopping. I have a friend who lives not far away and finds it nice, and I liked it when I visited - she also uses Salisbury for shopping.

Bearface Tue 23-Oct-12 18:32:18

Thank you everyone - really useful comments.

XBenedict Tue 23-Oct-12 18:39:39

I love Marlborough and go there frequently to eat or shop or both!) St Johns is a real possibility for DD's secondary school education and while it is very popular everyone who put it down as their first choice this year was offered a place. Lots of opportunity to walk, Sillbury HIll, Avebury, The Long Barrows, Devizes Locks, Cherhill Downs, The Ridgeway.

Bearface Wed 24-Oct-12 18:08:56

Thanks xBenedict - I love walking. Useful stuff. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now