Talk

Advanced search

Finding a Builder

(5 Posts)
196646 Tue 23-Oct-12 14:22:01

Hi mumsnet forum,

I'm looking for a builder but really don't know where to look for one - can anyone give me their top tips on finding a good builder? what to ask etc etc -

Yorky Tue 23-Oct-12 15:54:57

What are you wanting the builder to do?

We are in the process of finding a builder to do a two storey extension for us and have asked several for quotes - a couple we found on mybuilder.com, one was recommended by an estate agent we'd asked to do a valuation on the house, our architect recommended another, one wrote to us saying that he'd seen we'd been successful in our planning application, I suppose the old fashioned way is to look in the yellow pages :D

Definitely ask to talk to previous customers - not just look at the extension from the pavement but ask how they were to work with, did they tidy up after themselves, stick to budget, explain things when necessary, finish on time, watch language in front of small kids.
Ask to see his insurance documents.
Be very suspicious of anyone wanting you to pay cash to avoid VAT.
See previous jobs he's done similar to what you want doing - he might lay a beautiful patio, but would you still want him to fit your kitchen?

Sure there's other things I ought to mention, will be back when I think of them

196646 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:44:46

Hi Yorky,

Thank you so much for your time in answering my questions. We are looking at loft conversion and extension to install a new kitchen plus some landscaping works to the garden. Is there a website to find builders? I actually like to pay for things in cash to avoid VAT! so i'm not sure I should be suspicious of builders who say to avoid VAT (anything to save money!). What accreditations should we look for! I really don't know so anyone can help me!

verycherry Wed 24-Oct-12 08:09:29

I'm currently getting quotes for a loft conversion, have looked at builders recommended by friends/architect and also used websites - rated people and find me a builder (I think but could have just made that up!)

The best website seems to be federation of master builders, have had quite a few from there. Having said that I have also just trawled websites and spoken to people.

Things I've found encouraging are people who have offered references and opportunity to visit current sites to see work in progress or just finished.

It's hard though isn't it?

1605 Wed 24-Oct-12 08:32:24

If you pay cash to avoid VAT, you're helping someone commit a crime.

You're also shooting yourself in the foot because it's a surefire way to identify a cowboy tradesman.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now