Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used F&B Oval Room Blue or Stone Blue?

(6 Posts)
SunnyUpNorth Tue 23-Oct-12 13:59:33

We are thinking of painting our living room blue. It is a large, airy room with white panelling on the bottom half of the walls so I think it can take a fairly deep colour on the upper walls. There is currently a very 'in your face' blue flowery wallpaper that was there when we moved in. I would never choose it in a million years but it has really grown on me, but DH hates it.

So in an effort to get away from my usual grey-aholic tendencies we are considering sticking with the blue theme.

As I have never used colour before (the furthest I have ventured from grey is greige!) I don't want to go too dark, even though I think it can look amazing, but at the same time if I am going to go for something a bit different I don't want it to be too subtle or I may aswell stay with grey.

So I have seen Stone Blue and Oval Room Blue and think they both look really nice. I am after a blue that isn't too vibrant in the daylight but can go quite dusky and cosy in the evening with lamplight and candles. Would either of these fit the bill?

I also have just seen the dulux heritage range and think Verditer Blue looks nice.

I don't think durability of the paint is too much of an issue with it being on the top half of the wall only so it doesn't really get touched or brushed past so I don't mind using the F&B estate emulsion.

Any suggestions for colours that might be suitable would be gratefully received.

As an aside we also have huge bay windows in that room and are considering getting very sheer, white, roman blinds and then long curtains in possibly a grey linen. Would this go well with blue walls? (I have searched on pinterest and google images for rooms with blue walls to see what window dressings they have and they all have bare windows!!!)

Thank you!

SunnyUpNorth Wed 24-Oct-12 22:24:30

Anyone? Please!

I got testers of both today and neither are anything like how they look on the website grrrr.

The stone blue is much more bluey and the oval room blue is really grey/green.

They have been changing all day as F&B paints do and in the living room at the mo with just a lamp on they have both darkened alot and look better but I think I am after almost a mix of the two of them but maybe slightly darker.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mumblechum1 Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:00

I've painted my summerhouse in Oval Room Blue and it looks very nice but obviously it'd look different indoors.

Bumping for you anyway.

sybilwibble Wed 24-Oct-12 23:33:01

We have a small reception room in stone blue. It's been there for 2 years. Colour goes well with reds and oranges to lift it. It's very cosy, not sure if I could live with it in a bigger room, but as half your wall is white, might be ok? Make sure u test two coats

RonettePulaski Wed 24-Oct-12 23:50:54

Our bedroom is oval room blue. South facing. Big window. It's not at all greenish, perhaps a bit more blue than I expected, less grey anyway, I sort of know what you're saying about wanting it just a touch darker, but its a lovely colour. Quite striking but not crazy iyswim

It's gorgeous. I love it, Espe iLly next to crisp white woodwork

We've got garish orange / cream / blue curtains and I think it looks nice

SunnyUpNorth Thu 25-Oct-12 09:23:43

Thanks all.

Yes I have done two coats of each but on the same piece of lining paper so they are probably affecting how each other look. I think I will do a much bigger piece of each separately and see how that looks.

I think they're both gorgeous colours I'm just not sure how they would look on such a big scale. Think I'm just scared of making the move from grey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now