Talk

Advanced search

Does this topic have lots of budding interior designers keen to give their advice....?!

(10 Posts)
somuchforanindiansummer Tue 23-Oct-12 13:35:21

Like in Style & Beauty where someone is looking for a certain colour bag, and dozens of budding stylists post links to fabulous bags...? <hopeful>

Coz I am looking for dark blue curtain material but am dreadful at all things stylistic/designy.... Had a sample of this up, but have gone off it... (decided it's a bit dull/dated) I do love this and this , but neither are curtain material (which probably matters, I'm not sure confused ). It's a Victorian(ish) 'character' house - chesterfield sofa/dark wood furniture/parquet floor, kind of thing.

Any suggestions on where to start...?! Guidance or suggestions much appreciated!

FishfingersAreOK Tue 23-Oct-12 14:00:58

Just to say yes it is/does - and someone will hopefully be along for you soon....'tis not me...I am very pragmatic and will be able to remind you to ensure you plan a place for your bin when designing a kitchen. Curtains...style-y...colours...lovely beautiful things....nope. Utterly clueless. I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.

Fashionistas will be along I am sure

FishfingersAreOK Tue 23-Oct-12 14:03:42

Though personally I love the stripey one.

Mum2Fergus Tue 23-Oct-12 14:26:24

Check out the Houzz app (they have a dotcom version too), its fab for things like this...highly addictive too lol Ive enough moodboards there to do my next 3 houses lol ...

ClareMarriott Tue 23-Oct-12 16:05:41

All I can add is think about which compass direction the room faces, as north facing rooms have less light coming in so heavier curtains might be out

lalalonglegs Tue 23-Oct-12 16:18:23

I think both the samples you like might be a bit too much of a good thing - they might work for cushions but they wouldn't suit a large expanse such as a curtain, the print looks too bitty. If you like florals and traditional Victorian designs, have you thought about a William Morris print?

This is really pretty or this.

fossil97 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:26:37

What is the window - a big bay or a small one?
I have really fallen for Prestigious fabrics, once you have chosen a design you can normally track it down at a fair price. The cotton prints are cheaper than the brocades/fancy fabrics.

Anything here take your fancy? Are you on a budget?

Have you tried the usual places: John Lewis, Laura Ashley etc?

LexiWITCHious Tue 23-Oct-12 17:36:29

I have Big Florals on a curtain covering 380cm wide and full door height (French windows) in my northfacing extension. Fabric is Siricusa from John Lewis, £16/m which worked out at £400 I think including lining fabric. My mum made them, otherwise it would have been that much ££ again (at least) to have them made. Trick is not to skimp on the fabric, otherwise when they are pulled closed they look mean. For that reason I wouldn't go with something that you want to see the whole picture, because as curtains you never will. As a Roman blind yes, or as upholstery, but for anything drapey, no.

member Tue 23-Oct-12 17:57:37

I'd have a look in Voyage Decoration Classics, particularly Anastasia

somuchforanindiansummer Wed 24-Oct-12 18:14:25

Thanks all, some good links and ideas on here. Will keep me v busy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now