Talk

Advanced search

Changing the exterior colour of my house...help needed

(6 Posts)
SconeInSixtySeconds Tue 23-Oct-12 04:16:45

I'll be home soon from Australia and I know that the woodwork all over the exterior of my house will need repainting.

Currently it is white (well - going dirty grey to be honest), last painted 7 years ago with Sandtex on the front, and Dulux on the back. Neither has worn very well, and I know that the new formulation of gloss means that any white I put on now will go nicotine yellow pretty quickly.

Nice.

So, time for a change. Here's a link to what it looked like 4 years ago before we did the drive. BTW the house looked identical to next door when we moved in, a gorgeous 1960s creation - it's not a very pretty house, but I feel I did the best I could (if only I could afford to re-roof with a higher apex, but hey ho)

I'm quite tempted to go radical - blue or yellow - but we are just outside the village conservation area so bright pink is probably out grin

What colour would you suggest? Is there a brand thats better than another? It's going to take a lot of work, I'd like it to last for a little while!

kickassangel Tue 23-Oct-12 04:31:41

Cream or light grey. There was a whole lotta love for grey earlier on another house thread

ClareMarriott Tue 23-Oct-12 09:43:20

Hey, it's got a great weatherboard look about it but I was thinking there is a row of trees alongside so do you want to go with white again and perhaps change the colour of the door so the house stands out from the trees ?

PigletJohn Tue 23-Oct-12 10:35:31

the new white oil paint goes yellow when indoors, but exposure to sunlight will keep it white.

Dulux (and probably the others) have reformulated their low-VOC paints to reduce yellowing. The Dulux Trade paints with blue lids on the cans are the new formula. I doubt there is any of the old formula left on the shelves.

Water-based paint does not suffer yellowing in the same way, but IMO, although OK for indoors, is not as hardy externally. Time will tell.

It looks from the pic like your house is clad in wooden featheredge, I would have suggested a microporous breathing treatment, but this has to start from bare wood, so too late now.

Check the bottom specially for any dampness caused by watersplash from the ground. It does not look like it would be difficult to change the occasional board, but this ought to be done before painting so it does not stand out.

uggmum Tue 23-Oct-12 10:41:52

How about a lovely New England blue or pale green.

SconeInSixtySeconds Tue 23-Oct-12 12:59:41

Thanks for all the input everyone. PigletJohn, some good advice there - the wood was all replaced and brand new treated stuff before it was painted - although I can't remember exactly what went on it as well as the normal tanalised thing as I was busy giving birth that week... blush

It was a special timber though - I do remember that!

There is a hedge out the front and an enormous red chestnut tree just to the right of the house, plus it's north facing, so I am worried that grey, although lovely, might be just too gloomy.

Do you think that a nice mid blue would be offputting? We'll probably have it on the market before it gets painted again, so don't want to choose something that everyone hates!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now