Talk

Advanced search

New to being a landlord! first prospective tenants coming tomorrow, what do I ask?

(7 Posts)
mrswee Sat 20-Oct-12 19:37:40

Hi we are renting our flat for the first time and have our first prospective tenants coming tomorrow, and more through out the week

What are good questions to ask to help judge if they are going to be good and reliable tenants? Should I ask for referances and who should I specify the referances should come from?
should I have the lease printed out for them to look over or wait till they are ready to give the deposit?
I have not rented for the last 10 years and I am sure things must have changed so please any tips you can give would be most welcome!!

thanks

tricot39 Sat 20-Oct-12 20:22:38

ask directly how many people will be living in the house. i assumed a family of 4 and got 5 adults and 2 kids in a 2 bed flat. the wear and tear was not good. also ask what their annual salary is to get an idea of affordability.

frostyfingers Mon 22-Oct-12 11:01:34

Perhaps you could ring a letting agent posing as a tenant and ask them what paperwork is required from a tenant when they let, and what happens re the deposit etc.

smalltown Mon 22-Oct-12 11:39:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ecuse Mon 22-Oct-12 14:03:08

I use lettingref.com to do credit checks. £10 a pop and buy blank AST and other forms from oyezforms.

I would ask them (both) what their occupation is, where they currently live, how long they think they might like to stay. To be honest I have always found it's less what you ask them than the feeling you get about them when you chat.

I would ask for a residential and occupational reference. Essentially just phone their employer (ideally through the switchboard and ask for the name you're given just to double check it's kosher) and check they are employed and at the salary they give you.

windsurf74 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:06:50

My last tenants trashed my place. (and they were police officers!!!!!)

If I was ever to rent out again, I would definitely want a second meeting with the prospective tenants AT the place they currently live in. You can tell a lot about people and how they will treat your place by the way they currently treat the place they are living in!

ForeverProcrastinating Mon 22-Oct-12 20:08:11

I know letting agents are considered in the same breath as estate agents or used car salesmen, but FWIW it's how I've earned a living for the past 26 years. So, you should ask them how many people it is for, checking if anyone (!) is pregnant, how many children, pets, smokers, and what everyone does for a living.
References, yes, do a credit check on everyone over 18, apply for written employers refs and a previous landlord or personal ref on all over 18's.
The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement should be made available for them to check over prior to you getting them to sign up legally.
Ensure you take AT LEAST one months rent as returnable security deposit (must be lodged with one of the three Government approved schemes and ensure you provide the prescribed information first). You can take up to 2 months by law.
Ensure you have a comprehensive inventory signed when they move in.
There is more, but that answers your OP.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now