Talk

Advanced search

Do I really want a black carpet? Need help deciding.

(12 Posts)
insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 16:46:02

Any suggestions for colours to match my decor.
I have a large rectangle shaped room. The two (shorter) end walls are deep burgundy, the two longer walls are sandstone. One of the long walls is practically floor to ceiling windows and I have silky silvery grey curtains with black curtain poles.
The room also has a dining table and 6 chairs at one end- dark wood table with leather chairs- 4 burgunday and 2 cream. My sofa is a large corner one which is black with silvery cushions with trees on (DFS). We have a black woodburner and a dark wood surround and the chimney breast has a wallpaper that is black with silvery trees on.
It is all very dramatic and a bit 'goth' but that's just me grin
Question is will a black carpet be too much? Will a grey look better?

noisytoys Sat 20-Oct-12 16:49:54

I really really want a black carpet they look awesome in the shops. But I know someone who has one and they show every bit of dust sad

insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 16:51:17

grey would be better then, as the dust would just blend in grin

Solo Sat 20-Oct-12 16:53:10

I wouldn't unless you have the vacuum cleaner on permanently, have no Dc's or pets and maybe have a cleaning lady! it will show every speck!

BedHog Sat 20-Oct-12 16:53:54

A black carpet would look great if nobody actually lives there, but it will be a pain to clean and show every fleck of dirt. I think I'd go for either...

a. A flecky black/dark grey thick velvety carpet
b. Black vinyl with a subtle glitter effect (the sort you get in post offices, foyers, public toilets etc, but black) and a shaggy rug in deep burgundy placed in a strategic place.
c. Black rubber. This would be quite expensive though!

CaptainKirksNipples Sat 20-Oct-12 16:54:51

We have similar, went for a dark charcoal colour instead and it looks good, I think sometimes black can look like you aren't sure what matches and you went for easiest, and it can be a bit cheap looking too.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Sat 20-Oct-12 16:54:56

No. It will show every little bit. Even half an hour after you've hoovered.

That put us off getting black sofas. We got charcoal instead and love them.

trixymalixy Sat 20-Oct-12 16:57:13

No!! I had a dark blue carpet and it showed every little bit of fluff and dust. A carpet that's not a solid colour with flecks in would be much more practical.

BedHog Sat 20-Oct-12 16:57:35

Lots of lovely black floorings on this site. Have a rummage, they send you free samples of anything you like the look of. We got most of our cool sparkly stuff from there (some of which is black).

insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 17:02:00

Found this
which I like
I really want wooden floors but DH says no sad

lalalonglegs Sat 20-Oct-12 18:27:17

How about slate tiles with rugs?

avivabeaver Mon 22-Oct-12 10:31:02

based on the dark blue carpet i bought, you do not want a black carpet.

i could have spent all day every day with the hoover and it still had stuff on it.

it will do your head in, it did mine and i am a total slattern

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now