Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone sold their house wih no estate agent input?

(12 Posts)
Wotnow Sat 20-Oct-12 15:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wotnow Sat 20-Oct-12 20:56:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 23-Oct-12 11:13:22

Hello! We sold our house privately. It was shared ownership (I owned half, a housing association owned half), so there was a little input from them, but otherwise we just got on with it. It was a lot easier than buying our new house (through estate agents) was, as we were in direct contact with the buyers the whole way through. They asked us if they were worried about anything and we negotiated things like leaving our shed in place for a couple of days whilst we got sorted. All much easier than if we'd gone through an EA. I think it would very much depend on the buyer though, if you got an awkward one you would probably appreciate having the EA as a go between.
We also had the buyers over a couple of times to discuss what we were leaving / what they didn't want (eg I would have left all the plants in the garden but they said they'd pull them all up anyway, so we took them.)
All in all it was a really nice experienence and we still see them from time to time.

scootle Fri 26-Oct-12 10:31:12

I did. I actually had it on with one estate agent and then walked past someone chatting in the street about how they wanted a house in my area. I told them mine was for sale, they came back with me and offered me full asking price. All went well, and the estate agent just shrugged when I told them I had sold it myself. We had a little bit of negotiation after the survey; I knocked £1000 off the price to keep the buyer happy. He was very reasonable, nice guy, which helped. It was at a time when the market was buoyant, and my house was very sellable.

My friend bought her house recently after leafleting the street she liked; all went well with that sale too.

midseasonsale Sun 28-Oct-12 17:36:02

yes it was fantastic but slow.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 28-Oct-12 18:55:48

Yup
last house, in student area
A4 sheet of paper in front window with mobile number
took a week
solicitors handled their part ...

was a few years back though ...

crazyhead Sun 28-Oct-12 20:13:41

We did, v recently, to neighbours. It was fine and a very good money saver. Be prepared to act as 'agent' though - for instance one of the issues we had was miscommunication between solicitors, which might have been avoided with an agent because they call both sides whereas we only spoke to our side. Also - just like an agent would be - you need to be tough and clear about your buyers being genuine - setting milestones like employing solicitor, applying for a mortgage and booking survey etc. Agents do have to work for their money to some extent!

Having said that, would recommend it.

hackneybird Sun 28-Oct-12 20:25:04

We're doing it at the moment and it has been fine so far. A neighbour who is renting on a street is buying from us. In order to ask for the right price we had our place valued by three estate agents then asked for the median of those valuations.

It's been good liaising directly with the buyers as it feels like we're saving time. They are being a bit nit picky but this would be happening regardless whether they were going via an EA.

It's fine and I would recommend it, although I agree you should make sure the are serious and doing all the survey, solicitor mortgage offer stuff.

We'll be saving about 5k in fees.

messtins Mon 29-Oct-12 08:17:46

Not entirely without an agent but we used an Internet only one, which saved us several thousand pounds. They did photos, wrote specs and put it on rightmove and liaised with us about viewings, we did the showing people round. It worked really well. Think about how you would advertise it yourself?

BestIsWest Tue 30-Oct-12 22:40:41

Bought without an agent after dropping a note through a door. Wasn't too bad although at times we would have liked an estate agent to act as buffer between us and the vendor. He was a right PITA.

newgirl Wed 31-Oct-12 15:01:14

we sold our last house with an agent and would recommend because

1. we got a much higher price than we expected
2. when sale got complicated (problem with our house) it was very helpful to have someone pushing it through
3. we negotiated fee before we started to 1% and all agents were able to match this and I think the overall cost was well worth it

im not an agent btw!

Bobyan Thu 01-Nov-12 21:34:04

I did with my last property and it was fine, but I think you have to have a good solicitor who is on the ball and doesn't need pushing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now