Talk

Advanced search

Is it loo-basin-bath or basin-loo-bath?

(18 Posts)
WorkingItOutAsIGo Sat 20-Oct-12 10:34:59

We are redesigning a bathroom in our new home and it's a small rectangular room with all the sanitaryware along one side. It will have a shower cabinet in one corner near the door, and a bath at the far end under the window, but DH and I can't decide which way round to put the loo and the basin.

Having the loo next to the bath seems a bit eeeww but on the other hand very practical if you are bathing small DCs - both for them to jump out and have a wee but also for me to sit on (lid closed!) and chat. Is there an accepted way round for these to be?

insancerre Sat 20-Oct-12 10:38:46

Thinking about houses I have lived in over the years ( about 10) the basin has always been next to the bath with only one exception.
However in y current house the basin and loo are opposite the bath.
I think it depends on your bathroom and your preference.

7to25 Sat 20-Oct-12 10:52:06

Look at the practicalities of the waste disposal

PigletJohn Sat 20-Oct-12 11:10:47

If it matters (which I doubt) the basin will be used most often, so put it nearest the door.

7to25 is right, the WC has the large soil pipe, so close to your stack will save it running along the wall. You might have a plumbing duct in the corner of the bathroom. Remember that sometimes people will need to lie on the floor to attend to the bath taps and trap.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sat 20-Oct-12 11:46:18

Thanks PigletJohn - thinking about the usage of the basin and putting it nearest the door is a good point we hadnt thought of.

The plan is for waste disposal to go under the floorboards as our joists run in the right direction (am so proud I know the answer to this! a few weeks ago I knew nothing about this sort of thing).

But am reassured that none of you are reacting instinctively that having the loo next to the bath is a bit weird from a hygiene point of view...which is good. It means it's just me that thinks it's strange but if we go for that option other people who use the bathroom won't walk in and feel disgusted by the layout.

wendybird77 Sat 20-Oct-12 12:31:37

Our loo is next to the bath and I do, indeed, sit on it and chat to the boys when they are having a bath. It never struck me as odd or weird because it makes sense in the small bathroom (basin near door, toilet then bath.

FishfingersAreOK Sat 20-Oct-12 17:09:19

I had this dilemma and TBH ir was/is the ewww factor that made me go for the bath, basin, loo layout. My DS coming in whilst I am in the bath (you know he will at some point) and weeing near my head. No. Just No.

wendybird77 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:43:04

Ah. I had not considered that scenario, being a shower person myself. If that is likely to happen then I would definitely keep the loo well away from the bath.

discrete Sat 20-Oct-12 21:09:00

I have seen basin, loo bath when the door is on the perpendicular side iyswim. The loo is near the tap/drain side of the bath so not near the head side when someone is weeing.

Makes sense as the sink often protrudes less into the room than the loo, so gives you more space to move in near the door.

messagetoyourudy Sat 20-Oct-12 21:24:06

I think loo, basin, bath is the way to go!

We have this layout, partly because when we moved it was separate wc, which we knocked through into one room. But also because if you live with 3 boys/men then having the loo away from the bath/shower is best! Just because thet all seem to come in and wee at some point.........

amck5700 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:29:49

I have basin, loo, bath.

like this:

i39.tinypic.com/zmgmd0.jpg

amck5700 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:30:41

......and I make everyone sit down to pee grin

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 20-Oct-12 21:46:19

Ours is all in a row on one wall, small bathroom, Basin next to door, next is the Loo and next to that is the bath. I never really thought about it. But it is very handy to sit on when you have little ones in the bathtub. Opposite the Loo (next to the other end of the tub) is Towel rails.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Oct-12 11:42:35

Having recently suffered a bout of d&v, I can only add the recommendation that the basin be very close to the loo... blush

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 21-Oct-12 11:48:05

The loo next to the bath gives you more space around the loo as well - absolutely nothing wrong with it being next to the bath.

amck - I'm just about to send you a PM smile

tricot39 Sun 21-Oct-12 13:23:38

this might be the sort of question which you ponder when planning a bathroom. it certainly didnt occur to me before that.

another question to ponder was one that an architect friend suggested - installing 2nd sink or bidet if you have space "for a bit of bling".

we went for a bidet which i thought might get some use but in the end has been THE best thing! combination of clothes wash, body bits or bath toy store. so we have loo, bidet, sink then bath.

coincidentally the loo is right by the waste pipe and the sink opposite the door. i hadnt planned that but now realise that these are probably the main reasons the space works well because it is quite small.

MontBlanc Sun 21-Oct-12 16:16:28

I hate bathing with my head next to the toilet I have to say, I would always put the sink in between. Depends whether it bothers you or not...

amck5700 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:07:54

I've sent you back a message ChippingInLovesAutumn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now