Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else moving house shortly?

(16 Posts)
Succubi Fri 19-Oct-12 12:43:49

After months and months of a very stressful conveyance we are finally exchanged and moving out of London into our new home. I must admit I am overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there is do as part of that move. I should say that my husband is dealing with the removers who will deal with the bulk of the packing.

It is the other stuff that I need help with like change of address and locks smiths on the day etc. Does anyone have any useful lists of must dos as part of the move that is not packing related?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Separately, does anyone know when we should be giving out our new address? We complete on 29th.

Many many thanks.

S

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 19-Oct-12 12:48:53

Watching with interest!

We are moving out of London to Wales on 22 Nov to our dream home - the panic is starting to set in. Just getting removal quotes including packing.

Succubi Fri 19-Oct-12 12:55:56

TDT many congrats to you. I am just glad it is finally happening but the scale of stuff that needs to happen is making me giddy.

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 19-Oct-12 13:18:58

I know how you feel.

I need a list! I've started selling some crap on EBay and sorting some stuff for the tip/charity shops.

One big problem is we are moving from a small house to a huge house. We need to get a lot of furniture but it's hard organising deliveries when it's 150 miles away.

Succubi Fri 19-Oct-12 13:23:16

It is so nice to hear that someone else is going through the same experience. I've got to organise floor fitters and decorators to go in and I am not looking forward to having to live in a dust storm with two small boys whilst the work goes on but needs must.

OrangeLily Fri 19-Oct-12 13:25:00

Yup but thankfully stress free so far.

I do all packing, DH does all unpacking. Play to our strengths and no moaning as we both understand why we have to do.

Mind you.... Bought the show house so absolutely nothing needs done apart from buying furniture.

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 19-Oct-12 13:31:15

grin orangelily show house sounds perfect. Wow!

Urgh - floors. Luckily we dont need anything like that. A lot of superficial work at ours - one of the bedrooms has one pink, one blue, one purple and one yellow wall. It's just a bit neglected!

showmethemummy Fri 19-Oct-12 13:34:37

yes! we are moving too, and in two weeks' time. I have been trying to de-clutter; but am failing miserably. we have not booked removers... i don't know what to do about that because we are moving about 100meters down the road. around the corner really.
i'm supposed to order appliances - paralysis has set in. i absolutely cannot decide.
the house needed some work done to it; this was meant to be finished by the time we move in; it won't now be until the end of nov. (hmm don't ask).

i have three small children and a part-time job. and oh, dh is away next week.

other than that, all going swimmingly!!! sorry not much help with tips!!!! but of course watching with interest while brew- packing...grin

Succubi Fri 19-Oct-12 13:36:38

JEALOUS of SHOW HOME

I found this on the BBC website. There has to more to do though but I have a head full of wool at the moment.

De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area.

Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).

If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.

Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address ecards.

Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.

Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent.

Notify then bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.

OrangeLily Fri 19-Oct-12 13:46:16

smile I am pretty chuffed smile

TV licence
TV/ Internet supplier needs changed
Final bills need paying and new ones set up
Council tax needs changing too
Ordering bins if its a new house

( we're pretty lucky we didn't like one room so they repainted for us too)

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 19-Oct-12 14:16:04

Well I have my mum to look after DD so that's one thing off the checklist. Well it's a rainy afternoon, I may as well do some more decluttering.

Just out of interest, how much are you all paying for your movers? I've had quotes from £750-1599. Don't know what to do!

Succubi Fri 19-Oct-12 14:26:20

Quotes that I have had are 1500 to 2500 including VAT sad

ArbitraryUsername Fri 19-Oct-12 21:11:33

We're finally moving a week today. We're only moving 5 minutes down the road and packing ourselves, so our movers are a lot cheaper than that (c. £350). We don't actually have much stuff, we've realised.

It's starting to come together at the new house. The kitchen is getting put in at the moment. We've got carcasses, a sink and worktops but no doors, flooring or appliances. I bought some curtains and rails for the kids' rooms today. The carpet fitters are coming on Monday and Tuesday. And we get to spend the weekend decorating, again. I'd like to fast forward through the next fortnight to the point where we're all unpacked and settled.

Notyetthere Fri 19-Oct-12 22:26:47

Here is a list for you to check

Accountant
Banks (High Street and Online)
Book or Music Club Subscriptions
Broadband Supplier
Building Society
Burglar Alarm Servicing or Monitoring
Car Insurer, Car Clubs (AA, RAC etc)
Cleaners, Ironing Service, etc.
Clubs – Rotary, Community, Sports etc.
Council (both old & new) - Council Tax Department
Council – cancel any Parking Permits
Credit Card(s) Provider
Dentist
Doctor
DSS
DVLA
Electricity, Gas & other Utility Suppliers
e-mail provider(s)
Employer
Family & Friends
Gardener
Hire Purchase Companies
Hospital, if you attend regularly
Household Insurance Supplier – Building and Contents
Home Phone Supplier
Inland Revenue, or HMRC
Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Library
Life Assurance Supplier
Loan or Credit Companies
Magazine Subscriptions
Milkman – cancel deliveries
Mobile Phone Supplier
Neighbours
Newsagent – cancel paper deliveries
Online Retailers (Amazon, eBay, Paypal, Play, etc)
Optician, Hairdresser, other Beauty/Health professionals
Pension Providers
Royal Mail – set up your re-direction service for 3/6/12 mths
Satellite or Cable TV Supplier
Servicing Contractors (Boiler, CH, other Appliances)
Schools & Nurseries, Childminders, Babysitters
Stores or Chains with discount or club cards
TV Licencing Office
Vet, Kennels, Cattery
Window Clean

If you hold Power of Attorney for anyone, or are named in anyone's Will, consider notifications required here.

Succubi Sat 20-Oct-12 17:43:20

Notyetthere you are a legend. Really really helpful list. Many thanks.

OrangeLily Sat 20-Oct-12 20:26:39

:O woooooweee that's a long list sad Shall print and tick off. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now