Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know their ikea?

(17 Posts)
RonettePulaski Fri 19-Oct-12 10:06:19

I need new storage in the utility room. Tall and shallow would be best

I have an old billy bookcase surplus to requirements. This would fit the space well and accommodate all the bottles and spanners and suchlike. BUT it's oak and they don't do a full height door in oak.

I could
Buy 4 x olsbo but at £35 each that rather pisses on my cheap storage plan

Or buy 2 x ydre but still £32 and they won't match

All their other billy doors are glass, which would do I suppose but also ££ and really I want cheap

Would doors for any of their other units fit on Billy

What is Besta for example

Or us there done other unit thing that would be better?

I'm torn between making do with the old billy, which would do

But I coukd get something good to swallow up bottles, tools, coats, the Hoover

If I did this would Pax be best or something else?

The available space is approximately 150 long but narrow so something quite shallow would work best

As you see- I'm cconfused

smalltown Fri 19-Oct-12 11:06:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 19-Oct-12 11:08:35

So what if the doors on your billy is white when the shelf is oak. It is a utility room. And the shelves will realistically only be visible when the doors are open.

RonettePulaski Fri 19-Oct-12 11:11:50

True. But I'm loath to spend anything at all if it'll still look a bit peculiar

Saying that those £ off vouchers could persuade me wink

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 19-Oct-12 11:16:54

Do you need doors? Why not have doors only up to half way, in oak?

amazonianwoman Fri 19-Oct-12 12:30:20

What about the shallow Pax wardrobes? About 38cm deep and either 200 or something like 236cm high. You might be able to squeeze a double and a single into your space, bags of storage. Or are they still too deep?

Buy the white door and paint the outside of the cupboard white to match?

Deux Fri 19-Oct-12 12:43:47

Yes, paint the bookcase to match the cheap door. Use Annie Sloan Chalk paint (or make your own) as no sanding or prepping required.

Or make a curtain and hang on a curtain wire? No sewing skills required, just use an iron and wondaweb.

Arithmeticulous Fri 19-Oct-12 12:52:08

Too shallow for any of the kitchen cupboards?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 19-Oct-12 13:39:03

If too shallow for the kitchen range, try the bathroom range.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 19-Oct-12 13:40:08

I should add, you can take the wall units which are more shallow, and put on top of each other, so wall unit both at the bottom and top, and with a shallow worktop between for handy storage.

OrangeLily Fri 19-Oct-12 13:42:49

Have u seen the lillangen laundry cabinets? I'm getting two!

PogoBob Fri 19-Oct-12 13:47:20

Can'r you just have 2 of the half height doors, one above the other on the tall unit?

Fizzylemonade Fri 19-Oct-12 14:30:31

Don't get me started on how great Pax is I have shed loads and I love them

Cheap option, beautiful material in one big curtain style over whole Billy front?

Have you gazed upon the inspiration that is ikea Hack? this is a painted Billy.

Disclaimer, I will not be held responsible for the amount of time you will spend on the Ikea Hackers website grin

smalltown Fri 19-Oct-12 14:32:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrangeLily Fri 19-Oct-12 14:51:15

It does. Basically two shelves, one on bottom, one on top with an inbuilt box/hamper thing on each shelf to pull out when taking to the wash machine. Im going to get two so I have 4 hamper/box things total. One for lights, darks, wools and towels.

RonettePulaski Fri 19-Oct-12 15:52:57

So many ideas! Thank you everyone

I'm going to spend this evening planning and measuring although I've got a suspicion ill end up with billy and mismatched doors as the cheapest option and you're right, it doesn't matter one jot what it looks like

Y y to pax being fab u lous, we have it in our bedroom and I want more. I didn't know about half depth so ill look at that too

[flowers]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now