Talk

Advanced search

where to go from London with a young family??? (2.)

(7 Posts)
Riella Thu 18-Oct-12 12:03:24

I started this thread in another not relevant topic (bliss of having a new baby and no sleep) so now i just want to repost it here.

Hello,
I'm in need of good advice. We had to come to terms that we simply cannot afford to live in London anymore. Just piling depts, no chance for meal out or any holiday etc. spite we both, DH and me working.
He works full time, i do part time as we have two children under 3.
So the question is WHERE to go? He works in Hoddesdon (EN11) and would love to find somewhere within an hour drive (30 miles). Preferably in Hertfordshire side and not Essex. As we never lived anywhere else except London I havent got a clue where to go or even begin the search.
So added a young couple with 2 young children. Where can we find cheaper properties (i will be really cheeky now and let say around £700 for a 2-3 bed house/flat with garden as a must have) to rent with reasonable facilities to suit our young family close by?
Would love to hear any suggestion such as town names, websites. Absolutely anything that can be useful.
Many thanks smile

StrangerintheNight Thu 18-Oct-12 20:35:00

Have a look on Rightmove. Put in your rental criteria and within however many miles of Hoddesdon, then see what comes up. Was going to suggest Hatfield as has good transport links and good range of facilities. It's not glam but is close to places that are.
Had quick look on Rightmove and can't believe how much prices have increased since my rental days, so really hope you find somewhere nice.

Riella Thu 18-Oct-12 22:15:18

I do use rightmove, zoopla and findaproperty too for weeks now.
I can come up with places but don't really know how suitable a certain place would be for us. There are tonnes of information to digest and many of them is quite old. Ofsted reports, local sites etc. Mindblowing. We need to find the balance between affordable housing and good schools for the children. Obviously no point to move somewhere very cheap if there are no good schools.
Nice to hear personal infos about places pro and contra.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 18-Oct-12 22:21:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 19-Oct-12 11:22:46

Hitchin is probably a bit pricey. We're in nearby Baldock and pay £875 for a biggish 3 bed, but we're looking to buy in Beds to get more for our money.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 19-Oct-12 11:23:28

Sorry, meant to say you could try Letchworth? Nice enough and cheaper than Hitchin.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 19-Oct-12 11:26:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now