Talk

Advanced search

How do I negotiate a reduction in my offer price?

(3 Posts)
lambinapram Wed 17-Oct-12 17:47:31

We are in the process of buying a semi detached house in London for around the 400K mark. The survey has come back saying the various roofs need replacing or repare and the heating system is pretty ancient and also need replacing soon.
The sellers agents got a quote for the roof work which came in at 2000 + vat (which seems cheap - includes replacing garage roof, extention roof, treating timbers of the main roof and replacing 16 tiles). We haven't got a quote for the heating system as it probably could last a couple of years.

The property is currently tenanted and is in a bit of a state, horrible carpets, double beds in dining and front rooms etc so it some ways the fact the property is not well presented is factored into the price.

What should we be proposing to the agents? That they do the work before we move in? Vendor covers the cost by dropping price? full or half? Thanks

Flossiechops Wed 17-Oct-12 19:21:08

I think it depends on whether your offer has reflected the works needed and whether you feel it's still a fair price given the work. If not i would get a few quotes and submit them to the ea and be asking for the full discount. They may well tell you to stuff off but if you don't ask you don't get! smile

ClareMarriott Thu 18-Oct-12 09:39:06

Also check on when the tenants will be asked to move out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now