Talk

Advanced search

Estate agent has asked us if a friend of his can stay in mums empty bungalow while we sell it and he'll pay rent. WWYD?

(14 Posts)
sandyballs Wed 17-Oct-12 13:13:09

My initial reaction was great, more money in mum's pot (she's gone into a care home). The guy is living in a building site apparently and wants to rent locally for approx six weeks.

Spoke to brother about it and he was very negative, said it didn't sit right with him and could be 'opening a can of worms'. He was worried he wouldn't leave when asked or when the property was sold, and become a sitting tenant. Surely we can get round this by drawing up agree contracts etc.

Has anyone done something similar? Just seems a good way of raising money for mum who is paying an extortionate amount in a care home.

RyleDup Wed 17-Oct-12 13:17:05

I would as long as there was a decent contract in place.

HecateLarpo Wed 17-Oct-12 13:18:21

I agree with your brother. Once you have a tenant, you have certain obligations. If he doesn't move, you have to go to court, which can be a long process. you should speak to someone who knows about the law. I am not sure if any agreement to vacate the property under x,y,z circumstances would mean you wouldn't have to abide by landlord legislation and go through court etc if it came to it and they wouldn't go.

Find out if you can draw up a six week tenancy and what the law is.

oh - or, what about a holiday let? What are the rules about that? Is that an option?

roooibos Wed 17-Oct-12 13:21:40

What? There are no other properties he can rent? Is he hoping to get it on the cheap? Not even sure he should be asking you this sort of thing in his position!

callofthewild Wed 17-Oct-12 13:26:07

I presume your Mum owns her property outright? If there is a mortgage on it you won't be able to let it out without the mortgage companies consent.

All sounds rather suspect to me. If they chap is desperate for somewhere to stay why doesn't he rent a room??? In any case if the house is empty what would he do for furniture?

ClareMarriott Wed 17-Oct-12 18:24:56

I'd say no - If the estate agent works for the company who is marketing the bungalow and has asked you if his friend can stay I would discuss it with your solicitor because it does'nt sound quite right

smalltown Wed 17-Oct-12 19:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

startlife Wed 17-Oct-12 19:38:36

I have to say it sounds risky - more likely to have downsides (as smalltown lists) and the positive is some ££.

Any buyers would need to be assured that the property will be empty (mortgage condition). Would the tenant put off viewers? Will he insist on formal notice for viewings, keep the place clean etc.

Upshot you will become a short term landlord. If you think the place will languish for months before selling then consider it but only on a formal basis (and you take up references).

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 17-Oct-12 20:54:14

In addition to the points already made: what condition is the house in at the moment? Is the presence of a tenant who has no interest in the house selling going to put off potential buyers? Will he keep it clean for viewings?

I personally wouldn't do it.

naturalbaby Wed 17-Oct-12 21:01:10

It's not very professional is it? It's crossing boundaries for me and I wouldn't be happy or comfortable with it.

tricot39 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:36:22

selling a property while it is let out is a challenge. frankly it puts buyers off and there is no incentive for the tenant to keep a clean house.

i am pretty sure that the minimum short assured tenancy agreement is 6 months.

expenses when letting mount up.

buyers are advised not to complete/exchange until vacant possession can be confirmed.

all in all it sounds like one to avoid - even before considering conflicts of interest.

good luck

financialwizard Thu 18-Oct-12 07:47:57

I wouldn't. My house had tenants in when I first put it on the market and had no interest. As soon as I got rid of my tenants it was under offer in 3 weeks.

As has already been pointed out if you have to go to court to evict this person you would end up thousands of pounds out of pocket. Too much of a risk imo.

MissPerception Thu 18-Oct-12 09:10:16

Well I don't trust *Estate Agents anyway, so you know what my answer would be.

the majority of

Bonsoir Thu 18-Oct-12 09:12:25

No, it will be much harder to sell if there is a messy tenant in it.

You should clear up the house to make it sale-friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now