Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Underlay for wood floors on concrete? (snore)

(3 Posts)
wendybird77 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:23:23

Boring myself to death trying to choose floors and have settled on unfinished solid oak (and engineered for conservatory) so I can just wax it and be done. Now the fun part - underlay! The solid floor will be over concrete on main floor, the engineered will be on concrete with underfloor heating. Any one love their underlay and want to share? It is worth paying for nice underlay or can I get away with cheap less expensive? Do I need special underlay for over the underfloor heating or is this a marketing gimmick?

Please just tell me what to buy. I want to spend my time shopping for fun things like baths and rugs and kitchens grin

FishfingersAreOK Tue 16-Oct-12 20:37:15

I was advised by the 2 suppliers to get special underfloor heating underlay - mainly to help the heat get through it.
Think you need it (underlay) also to stop vapour buggering your wood. I "wood" call your oak supplier and ask their advice (sorry for pun grin)

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 17-Oct-12 10:03:40

We had solid oak flooring which was laid over a concrete floor and adhesive used to stick it down. However this caused us a lot of problems as the adhesive reacted with the old latex that had been scraped off the concrete floor and caused the adhesive to unstick and the whole flooring raise off the concrete and create a huge bulge running lengthwise across the floor. You couldn't live with it so we had to remove the whole floor and adhesive and then choose to replace it with engineered flooring over underlay. I can't remember the name of the underlay but I know we chose a good one to help with heat loss and possible damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now