Talk

Advanced search

Actually, finally moving. Help me with my big to-do list!

(11 Posts)
Melmagpie Tue 16-Oct-12 12:41:10

After two years of looking, nearly moving, not, general trauma and angst we are finally (subject to contract) moving.

Anyone who's done this recently, or is about to, can we pool our to-do lists to make the ultimate one?

I have just found this on the internet as a start.

http://www.reallymoving.com/moving-advice/moving-checklist

It's not great on all the extras, like registering for a new doctor, phoning all the utilities at either end, etc.

Also, if you have moved recently and recommend a removal firm do let me know - we're in London.

Thanks, and phew - can't believe it's actually (probably) going to happen!

Melmagpie Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:43

house insurance - presumably can transfer policy to new place and prearrange a date for changeover?

post - think will send out xmas card with change of address plus arrange forwarding service and then send out change of addresses from new home.

bank, building soc, hospitals I'm under...

APipkinOfPepper Tue 16-Oct-12 12:50:23

That website looks useful. A few extra things that we found useful:

- pack "overnight bags" with a couple of days worth of clothes, toiletries, books/toys etc, take these with you in your own car do they don't get muddled up with anything else.

- make sure you have some magazines / books / other smallish new toys to entertain DCs

- accept all offers of help!

- as soon as you are in the new house, make the beds so later you can fall into bed without having to search through bags/ boxes to make up the bed!

financialwizard Tue 16-Oct-12 13:18:10

Ok, I have moved a katrillion times over the last few years exaggeration

1. Book removals - I am getting Brittania (1.5k for 27 cubic mtrs full packing)

2. Order items needed for new house (I need beds and stuff and some take weeks)

3. Redirect post

4. Take meter readings on day of move out and tell energy company

5. Advise Telephone/Internet/Utilities/Council Tax/Insurance Companies

6. Register with GP/Dentist at new address

7. VERY IMPORTANT if you have children - Schooling

8. Cancel any agreements you cannot take with you (We used to live overseas)

9. Make sure your kettle and a couple of cups are out to have a cuppa when you get to your new house.

10. Definately make up beds first

Good luck. There is always something I have to do after the event because I have forgotten!

Melmagpie Tue 16-Oct-12 14:37:12

Thank you! the overnight bag is a good idea. have to work out about the cat too!...

MrsWoodforTrees Wed 17-Oct-12 17:33:47

We used Harradines removal company - they were great

vamosbebe Wed 17-Oct-12 17:40:30

And have a box with immediate necessities: kettle, cups, cereal, some crockery, bibs, one pot for cooking, one pot for microwave... etc, you'll know what you'll need first thing in the new morning.

Try to get the removal people to put the boxes for the kitchen actually in the kitchen (and bedromm = bedroom, and so on) ours just dumped everything in the ounge and it took bloody ages to sort them out sad

Melmagpie Thu 18-Oct-12 07:40:51

Thank you! how long before actually moving did you all start packing? And what do you pack your clothes in? Fantasising that they can just be transported in the drawers!!

ClareMarriott Thu 18-Oct-12 09:09:34

I'd recommend James Removals-they were fab. And to label each box so it can be put in the correct room first off Good luck

APipkinOfPepper Thu 18-Oct-12 10:43:14

We got our removals people to pack for us, mainly as I was heavily pregnant, but it was great, they did it all in a day and a half! They had wardrobe boxes for the clothes (tall boxes with a rail in) and did take some clothes just in drawers too.

Melmagpie Thu 18-Oct-12 11:39:35

Am def going to get removers to pack. never done it in the past, but never had two young children when I've moved before.

A day and a half though - for some reason I imagined they could do it in a morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now